Author Topic: Removing grill cloth on 215 cabinet  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Zulubilly

Removing grill cloth on 215 cabinet
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:08:34 am »
How does the grill  come off from a Sunn 200S cabinet.  Do you have to take the back off or will it come off from the front.
Thanks,
Zulu
The SUNN is always rising somewhere

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Removing grill cloth on 215 cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
I've seen 'em both ways. If it has the post mid 69 grill cloth with little rectangles it may be held on with velcro and come off from the front. Pre mid 69 will probably be held by screws accessable from inside. Get one of those really long #2 phillips screwdrivers.

Offline Zulubilly

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:32:40 pm »
This is a 69 cab according to the person I am getting it from.  I will pick it up today and this weekend I will explore it.  It doesn't have the silver rectangle grill cloth.  The grill is a grayish blue color.  I will have to replace the speakers also.  The ones in it are CTS and I'm not sure if Sunn put CTS in any of their cabinets.  Do you know.

Thanks,

Zulubilly

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:01:01 pm »
The Sorado was a 60W bass head (200S) with a ported 2x15 cabinet. Came with "heavy duty Sunn Bass Transducers". It has two round ports about 4 inches in diameter and 5 inches deep. Same size as a 200S cab. Appeared first in the 1969 catalog. Still waiting on more info to fill in the missing years in The Sunn Catalog Thread. I used to own one with a white X painted on the back from the infamous Vortex festival near Portland.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 01:38:18 am »
If it doesn't have the rectangle cloth, it won't be velcroed on, it will be rear loaded. I'm pretty sure the Sorado had CTS drivers in it.

Offline Zulubilly

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 10:59:56 am »
It has the older cloth not the rectangle.  It is handwritten date of 2-26-69.  The speakers are Sunn Guitar Transducers.  So I guess this is a Sorado Bottom.  It is in great shape, the only thing I can see wrong is the plastic piece that holds the input jack is cracked which lets the jack move slightly, but still works fine.  Do you know where I can get the plastic piece that will fit the hole without modification.

Thanks

Zulu

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 11:23:03 am »
  Hi there,you can also get those input jack plates in metal.Just like an input plate on a Telecaster,you use 2 of them,one on either side of the plywood,like a clamp,and you
bolt the jack through both of them.You see this done on lots of cabs,good luck,Mel.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 08:22:05 pm »
The Telecaster jack plate fits a 7/8 inch hole. The hole in a Sunn cab is 1 inch diameter. I've never been able to find anything that will work like the original. Usually just drill a hole in a square piece of sheet aluminum and screw it down on the inside of the cab.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 08:09:58 pm »
I sell the speaker jack plate in black on Ebay usually the first of the month. It is the same as the original Sunn piece, just black. Still looking for the chrome ones....

I'll post them now, check Ebay under Sunn.