Author Topic: Sunn model 9  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Austinfitz

Sunn model 9
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:09:26 am »
Have a set of these my dad left me after he passed. I don't know much about them, and was having a hard time finding any info. I was also wondering about how much they're worth. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:40:23 am by Austinfitz »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn model 9
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 12:57:33 pm »
Sorry about your dad, I lost mine fairly recently also.

Those are pretty rare; I can't even find a "Model 9" in the catalog archive thread.
They are worth what someone is willing to pay, period. The only way to determine what they are "worth" is to reference what someone has actually paid for them, but that will likely be extremely hard to do considering the rarity.

That era Sunn PA cabs aren't generally considered to be very collectable though. Not old/high end enough to be vintage cool, and too old to compete with the current crop of light weight, ultra efficient boxes for actual sound reinforcement.
Not that they can't or wouldn't  be used by someone for that purpose, or that no one would want to buy them, just that for $250-$300 or so you can buy a set of speakers that weigh half as much and are 2 to three times more powerful as those old Sunns; with the power amps, DSP, and a two channel mixer already built into them.
Keeps the market value down, just another victim of technology. What is a 26" Sony Trinitron worth today? I paid over $1000 for one in early 80's dollars...

If you are trying to sell them, put them on eBay and see what they bring, or determine how much you would take for them; what amount of cash you would consider to be worth more to you than those speakers, and put them in the classified section on this forum.
Your post kinda seems like you are fishing for offers, so you need to determine what you want, or if you are going to keep them fairly soon. If you are going to keep them, what does "how much they're worth" really matter?

Offline Austinfitz

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 02:30:02 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your father as well.

I was really just curious if they were collectible, or worth a lot. If they were I might would hang on to them, but since they're not I'll probably just put them up for sale. The mids and highs in them were unhooked long ago (I'm assuming they're blown) and I replaced the old sunn 15s with some nice eminence 15s a while back when I was using them in our practice room. Our band has since broken up and I haven't been playing much, so I could really use the extra room that these things are taking up lol

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:32:03 pm »
Since these are so rare and unknown, please measure the outside dimensions and post a clearer picture where we can actually see what one looks like.

Offline Austinfitz

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:43:46 am »
I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this, and I know they're still not the best pics, but they're the best I could do tonight in that terrible lighting. Outside measurements are: 28 and 3/4 inches tall x 23 and 3/4 inches wide x 19 inches deep. Slot port is 1 and 1/2 inch. Outsides of cabinets are all that same black textured finish. If anyone wants a pic or measurement of anything in particular let me know.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:28:11 am »
Thanks for posting those pics!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 11:32:17 am »
Very interesting looking cabinets, with those 2 way cabs on top it looks like they may have been being used just for subs. They have the right components for a pair of nice sounding full range cabs.
Thanks for posting!

Offline Technojay

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 10:40:52 am »
Well, a neighbor wanted to make room and I was more than willing to help him take a pair of Model 9's off him for a hundred dollars. I ran a pink noise test and there is an interesting curve around 8k on both of them. I plan to run it through PEQ and see if straightening the peak would improve musicality.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 09:34:12 am »
Interesting in what way?
Isaac