Author Topic: Fuzz Pedals  (Read 34055 times)

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
Re: Fuzz Pedals
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 01:53:24 pm »
B standard.  I'm assuming go with "below B", yes?

Offline whiskey_face

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 10:33:06 pm »
personally id go with the subdecay F bomb. its a really super tight fuzz and its a very modern voiced fuzz.

and its $109 new so its not horridly priced.

you dont wanna drop $300 into your first fuzz only to realize theyre not for you.

Offline Ben Dead

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 08:37:56 pm »
i play guitar in a doom band and it varies from slow to fast, as well. i use a RUSSIAN made big muff pi. IMO this is the only EHX muff that you can buy new and get that classic sustainer sound and maintain clarity. the new american big muffs suck - they are nothing like the older generations. again, in my opinion. if you want to get closer to the sound of an older russian muff, try looking at the little big muff. this is just my advice for trying to get that sludgy tone with stuff that's relatively easy to find. the rat pedal is great, too. but, i personally don't favor it. i have all these pedals and i really only use the russian muff for my rhythm playing and an EQ boost for solos. the little big muff has great sustain, but is a little too hot for my liking.

Offline Ben Dead

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 08:40:07 pm »
i play guitar in a doom band and it varies from slow to fast, as well. i use a RUSSIAN made big muff pi. IMO this is the only EHX muff that you can buy new and get that classic sustainer sound and maintain clarity. the new american big muffs suck - they are nothing like the older generations. again, in my opinion. if you want to get closer to the sound of an older russian muff, try looking at the little big muff. this is just my advice for trying to get that sludgy tone with stuff that's relatively easy to find. the rat pedal is great, too. but, i personally don't favor it. i have all these pedals and i really only use the russian muff for my rhythm playing and an EQ boost for solos. the little big muff has great sustain, but is a little too hot for my liking.

i also tune to A flat, so that has to be taken into consideration when dealing with an analog/bypass circuitry fuzz pedal or sustainer, not a straight distortion pedal. i see that you are tuning to B, same thing you need to think about.

Offline senger1x

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 07:59:44 am »
granted I'm a bass player, but, I do end up jamming doom metal with guitar every now and then (electric wizard, cult of Luna, braveyoung/giant, jesu type stuff). Big muff just don't get there looses clarity. I got a custom mod. Russian muff that dose pretty well.  But by far the sickest fuzz I have messed with is the one I use as a sans amp for my bass, the Zvex Woolly Mammoth. main bummer is that those pedals run about $350, but its worth every penny.

Offline alandrokk

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 12:02:54 pm »
Wren and cuff pickle pie hella fuzz.  The bass version is killer and a bulit like a tank.  Haven't heard the regular pie inperson but the one for bass is awesome.

Offline Wicked_Tone

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:21 pm »
I just bought a Monsterpiece NPN Fuzz recently from a forum member off of The Gear Page. I haven't received yet, but there are some cool video clips of the pedal in action from the creator. I'm not certain how to get in touch with the guy who makes these, but they seem to turn up on Ebay and music forum classifieds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0SU90yyZ3s (With humbucker guitar)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e7guM5OKI (With single coil guitar)

HC Form thread on Monsterpiece: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1778565

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 06:03:21 pm »
what tuning are you in?

if youre below B i would suggest a bass muff in conjuntion with an EQ pedal (EHX 10 band eq is by far my fav)

also if you dont have one get an eq pedal. you would be amazed at how awesome your existing rig will sound with just a few tweeks with one.

Interesting thread! i play sludge stoner too

the best fuzz I've found to mate with my Sonaro in 2 1x15 and my baritone lespaul in B standard is the Bass Big Muff with bass boost and tone at 10-11 o'clock. every time I get amaze by the tone and for a 100$ it's all good.

I also use the BigMuffPi Tone Wicker with bypass tone control going trough a Graphic Fuzz to tweak it get something pretty good from my Solarus, I use Graphic Fuzz overdrive for a low boost drive and I add the Wicker to it for an over the top fuzz...

I also tried the BYOC Mighty Mouse instead of my Tone Wicker, you have 3 rat versions and 3 tube screamer in one for around 100$, it can cover pretty much all the best of those two pedal...but I finally got back to the Tone Wicker for a more sludgy nasty tone... :evil:
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline Viking Sonne

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 10:03:20 pm »
I would recommend a Marshall Jackhammer. Check out youtube for demos. I ran oneof these in front of my JCM 900 Dual Reverb half stack and loved it. That was a mean nasty rig. But I gotta admit I'm more of a metal head than a stoner sludge guy. :)
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." ~ John Wooden ~

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 02:16:26 pm »
I just bought two 5 O'clock Charlie pedals from Pedalworx, and they're stunning. They're being billed as a "tuned Rat clone," but, as the review below mentions, they sound more like a cross between a vintage Rat and a Big Muff.  For what it's worth, the pedal is made with the the original NOS LM308 chip that gave the vintage Rat such a great sound. The marketing materials boast that the pedal has more gain than you'll ever need, and, for once, the marketing gimmick is actually TRUE! It has more gain and low end than any guitar pedal I've ever heard. It's dangeroulsy powerful!

A quick excerpt from the review: "The Charlie screams stoner metal and is perfect for sludgy riffing, à la Weedeater, Boris and Eyehategod. If fat, gravy-soaked Southern Metal tones are your thing, look no further than the 5 O’clock Charlie."

Check out the full review. It's halfway down the page: https://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Nov/Stomping_Grounds_25_Pedals_Reviewed.aspx?Page=7

Doom on, doom on!

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 10:19:56 pm »
I just bought two 5 O'clock Charlie pedals from Pedalworx, and they're stunning. They're being billed as a "tuned Rat clone," but, as the review below mentions, they sound more like a cross between a vintage Rat and a Big Muff.  For what it's worth, the pedal is made with the the original NOS LM308 chip that gave the vintage Rat such a great sound. The marketing materials boast that the pedal has more gain than you'll ever need, and, for once, the marketing gimmick is actually TRUE! It has more gain and low end than any guitar pedal I've ever heard. It's dangeroulsy powerful!

A quick excerpt from the review: "The Charlie screams stoner metal and is perfect for sludgy riffing, à la Weedeater, Boris and Eyehategod. If fat, gravy-soaked Southern Metal tones are your thing, look no further than the 5 O’clock Charlie."

Check out the full review. It's halfway down the page: https://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Nov/Stomping_Grounds_25_Pedals_Reviewed.aspx?Page=7

Doom on, doom on!

Wow! that pedal  looks sweet! thanks for the info.
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 12:14:06 pm »
D*A*M Meat Head Dark or Deluxe...sounds sweet...! but super rare and super $$$...maybe later...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxxTkZIx8WQ

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 02:01:33 pm »
just received my Meathead clone in the mail today! with a bonus Sonic Titan clone...A-M-A-Z-I-N-G even in my DAW but I just can't wait to do a 1st try out tonight or tomorrow on the Sunns...! looks okay for fast tempo too...

these are custom clone so I ask for an extra switch to get standard mode and dark mode in the same box!

Sonic Titan clone from the 2007 version:

for now here are my 1st clips of it in my DAW...see description for settings:

meathead clip:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9938979

sonic titan clip:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9938979

and the price, 1/3 of a real Meathead or Sonic Titan! 80euro each!

Offline riotriot

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 01:05:34 am »
I use a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz for bass and guitar. From what I've heard it's a Big Muff clone with some extra features.
Especially the focus knob makes this one interesting since it can clean up the sound a lot and that way it's leaning more towards a OD which for bass is pretty nice..