Author Topic: 2x10 vs. 2x12 - and would the 1202 work?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline ZiggyDude

2x10 vs. 2x12 - and would the 1202 work?
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:13:50 am »
I am not sure if this is a common thought or not.

I have noticed that 2x12 cabs are getting much more popular with bass players.  I guess this may be technology driven as new speakers come out.  

I have an Ampeg SVT 2x10.  It works OK.  I am not a fan of the ports in the back thing.  I have an opportunity to get an old Sunn 2x12 cab.  The 202 beta (I originally confused all with saying 1202) with the white face speaker plate through the black grill cloth.  The speakers in it are not orig and trash - but I would suspect that I would need load with new stuff anyway.

I am not sure if the 202 was a bass or guitar cab.  The back is sealed and it has two ports - no tubes in the ports.  About 25x25 and maybe 12 to 15" deep.  But I think the box is OK.

Thoughts on 2x12 over 2x10?

Thanx,

- Ziggy -
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:21:57 pm by ZiggyDude »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: 2x10 vs. 2x12 - and would the 1202 work?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:11 am »
Is 1202 a model number? I'm not familiar with it, do you have a pic of the cab?
It sounds like it might be a little small for a pair of big excursion 12" bass drivers, it depends on the porting.
In the real world practice there are certain characteristics inherent to 10's and 12's that make them different. A 12" cone has the potential to move more air than a 10" cone, and a 10" cone generally will have less mass (takes less signal to reverse direction, sometimes referred to as "quicker") and a higher free air resonant frequency; but in the "internet expert" world of theory... factors such as excursion, actual cone area, suspension, etc., and a 10 and a 12 being so close in size that it could be (and regularly is) said that it doesn't matter.
I will agree that it can be hard to make a distinction based solely on cone diameter, but there is a reason manufacturers make different sized drivers, and that reason is that certain sizes are inherently easier to utilizes for specific applications.

So, as far as for a bass guitar cabinet, I suppose my opinion is "it depends".  :wink:

Why aren't you a fan of ports in the back? That Ampeg should be a nice little cab.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:01:15 pm »
I recommend you try to find a 212 cab and compare it with your 210. While I know what sounds "best" to me, you might define good tone differently than I do. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just many of us have personal preferences developed over a few years or a few decades.

For me, I'm partial to 15" speakers because they were the standard when I started playing in 1970 and I still think they sound great.  There are plenty of cabs with 10" speakers that sound great, on the other hand - I just like my old Sunn 215 cabs.

The one 212 cab I can evaluate is the Aguilar GS 212. I found it to be quite portable but it didn't sound as full to me as do the 15" speakers and not as bright as the 10" speakers. After trying it with different heads and getting the same (subjective) result, I sold it.

But that's just me. What sounds good to you?  What kind of tone do you like? You won't go wrong relying on your ears, but you could go wrong relying on the opinions of people you don't know, at least on this particular topic!

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:36:43 pm by CLD »
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:49:46 pm »
Thanks everyone.

I guess for me this is almost an experiment to find out why so many are hot and heavy about 12s as of the last few years.  I talked to a guy that toured the Ampeg factory while it was still SLM.  They said that 12s were better than 10s for bass but the market would not support it as everyone was ten crazy.   Actually- I wonder if musical style may come to play.  Fretless and blues guys like different tone that metal guys. 

I will post a picture of the beta 1202 cab tonight.  I am using the Droid at the moment.

I use big cabs live so a 2x12 would not handle it unless it was stacked over a 15 or something,  though it might make a happening practice cab.

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:07:00 pm »
OK - I was poopy.  I got the model number wrong.  This si a 202 and not a 1202.

Here is a pic of the back plate
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/ZiggyDude/New%20Bass%20Amp%20Shots/SunnBeta202BackPlate.jpg

And here is the Lill Cab with the family.  Cute little runt :-)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/ZiggyDude/New%20Bass%20Amp%20Shots/4SunnsandAlembic.jpg

I guess where I am going with this - is this worth scoring as a practice amp or something on top of a stack?  I can not find feedback on this on the Interweb.  There is a local guy that said he used it as a guitar cab.

Offline ZiggyDude

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:28:12 pm »
Sorry EdBass I did not reply to your question.

The back ports work GREAT if you set the cab in the right place.  In the wrong place they are either useless or hurt.  Paneling in basements rattles, bass so loud by me playing it hurts but folks out a few feet dont hear it.  So I like designs that throw sound forward.  Regrets that it usually takes a big cab to get those details.  Now, in fairness, I have seen back ported cabs used correctly that threw low sound like everywhere. But I don't want to be constrained by that .