Author Topic: Jess Oliver has passed  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Soundmasterg

Jess Oliver has passed
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:52:32 pm »
Since we're all into bass amps here, I thought some of you may like to know that Jess Oliver, designer of the Portaflex Ampeg amps has passed. Here is a link.

Greg

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/07/03/in-memoriam-jess-oliver/

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Jess Oliver has passed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:31:58 pm »
We lost a good one. How many amps are still regularly used and so sought after 50+ years later? Portaflex's are still a staple in high end studios and in a large percentage of pro bassist's arsenals to this day, and have been since Jess Oliver's original 1960 "fliptop".

As much as I love vintage Sunns, there is little doubt that the B15N is THE most iconic bass amp of all time...

Rest in Peace Jess, and thanks.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 06:25:46 pm »
I agree with these sentiments. Jess Oliver's B15N (combined with Leo Fender's Precision Bass) is the reference standard for most of us old-timers. Dozens of Motown hits were anchored by James Jamerson on an Ampeg Portaflex. I cherish my B15N. RIP Jess; your designs will be appreciated for many years to come.

Ryan

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:15:41 pm »

I agree with these sentiments. Jess Oliver's B15N (combined with Leo Fender's Precision Bass) is the reference standard for most of us old-timers. Dozens of Motown hits were anchored by James Jamerson on an Ampeg Portaflex. I cherish my B15N. RIP Jess; your designs will be appreciated for many years to come.

Ryan

Of course not just Jamerson and not just Motown, the Portaflex has to be hands down the most recorded amp in bass guitar history.

This is pretty much a permanent fixture in my den.

I flip it and put the cover on except the two or three times a year I actually practice, but it's usually in the room.  :-D
It’s one of those extremely rare rigs that just sounds flat fantastic; clean, overdriven, just about any way you use it.

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »
I agree, what a great little self-contained combo design. I wish that I could remember why I got rid of mine.
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »
I've always wanted to get a B15N but never had the scratch to do so. One day I will get one!

I saw a video on youtube of Jumi Hendrix playing through a Portaflex with a Strat on some TV show, and he had great tone, so I guess it isn't just a bass amp either.

Greg

Offline sgelectric

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:07:27 pm »
A couple of years ago, I was working on an Oliver 60 watt bass amp and ran into some difficulties.Hearing that he ran a sound services business in New York,  I called, and he came to the phone and  patiently answered all my questions. A legendary amp designer and a true class act. I will always remember this kindness shown to me.  RIP Jess

Offline mc2

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 05:33:42 pm »
Wow....sorry to hear this but he lived a loooong life. Nice guy!

I've been to his house and basement workshop. Saw all sort of amazing stuff floating around down there.

I produced & managed a girl rockabilly band in the 80s during the Stray Cats peak. The guitarist/singer lived directly across the street from Jess Oliver and he knew her her whole life...fixed all her gear. Same town that Brian Setzer was from.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 06:29:24 am »
The Porta-Flex was the first amp that I ever gigged with.  I was about 14 yrs. old and we played a corporate gig for "Grempler Reality" in Joppatown, Maryland.  We alternated sets with a band of slightly older guys (my sister sang for them) and I played thru their bass player's porta flex. (He's now my brother-in-law and it was his father that taught me to play guitar and bass).
  My personal amp was an already ancient Fender bassman
(I mean the little 115, brown tweed circa about 1958 I think ?) so I was in heaven playing thru that ampeg.  RIP Jesse Oliver.  Thanks for the memory.