Author Topic: 67 Sunn Solarus 2x12  (Read 2317 times)

Offline yucatan

67 Sunn Solarus 2x12
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:42 pm »
Hey guys,
       This has been a good project so far.  Replaced the PT and OT and the unit is blasting!!!

Can anyone give any idea how much this thing is worth?  Both transformers were from triode.

Cheers,

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Sunn Solarus 2x12
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:51:38 am »
There aren't many of them sold so there isn't really a market established, unless someone on this forum has sold a combo recently any value speculation would just be a guess.
Keep your eyes on eBay completed auctions, maybe you will get lucky and find one that sold. That will give you a more accurate value assessment than an enthusiast site.
From memory I think the Sunn combo amps don't seem to do as well as the separate head units, probably because of the versatility of separate amps and the weight of the combo cabs for shipping.

If you are trying to sell your amp, figure out what you would take for it and post that price in the classified section.

Offline hirotan88

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:09:08 pm »
Hey I just got offered a 1970s Sunn Solarus head and 2x12 cab for 1000$. The only thing is that the guy said he mod'd the head to Marshall Plexi specs :/.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Try haggling for it? Pass on it?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 07:50:52 pm »
It's your call, is that amp worth more to you personally than $1000 is?

It makes zero difference what anyone else thinks, but for what it's worth I don't think I would buy anything from a guy who claims to have taken a Sunn/Dynaco circuit and "mod'd the head to Marshall Plexi specs"...

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 08:14:58 pm »
I wouldn't pay $1000 for it. But then, I don't need another guitar amp. Like really, really don't need another.
Isaac

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:13:40 pm »
I think you would be doing well to get $500 for it.

And, to amplify the comment from Edbass ......anyone who claims to have modded a Solarus head to Marshall Plexi specs is full of BS. This would not be a mod. This would be stripping the amp down to a bare chassis and starting over! Clearly, the guy is an idiot. Run, do not walk, away as fast as you can.