Author Topic: "Sunn for Sale"....  (Read 2253 times)

Offline dennysunn

• Old dog, new tricks...
"Sunn for Sale"....
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:54:49 pm »
 I have noticed that every time someone is selling a Sunn product that they don't know much about, the one one common feature described is " This thing is LOUD!". Just thought I'd throw that out there, thanks....

Offline djc

Re: "Sunn for Sale"....
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:23 pm »
I've seen that almost all the time too.  I don't think my 200s is overly loud, it's just that everyone is used to hearing 300-500 watt peavey's that are over-rated.  when I tell people my 200s is 60 watts, then they say 'wow, that's loud'  I just think its an honest power rating.  mine was actually scoped at 74watts with KT-88's.  eats my buddy's 700 watt peavey for breakfast.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:13:51 pm »
When I had my first 1967 Sunn Sentura II with  the JBL D-130's, I used to get a lot of people saying that they thought the amp was loud....and then when I told them it was only 60 watts, they couldn't believe it.  I believe it's becaue the Sunn amps that Conrad made were so efficient - very clean and clear.  And a clean, clear amps seems to sound louder than one that isn't.  We also have to remember that Conrad was into high quality, high fedility music reproductin before he started building amps.  That drive for clean quality sound found it's way into evey Sunn amp in the 60's.  Thanks, Conrad.

Rob

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:21 am »
My Sunn Solarus had a warning label on it when it was brand new (the label is long gone now, but I still have the amp & 2x12 cab) that said something to the effect of "this amplifier is capable of producing more power then the speakers can successfully handle".   Something like that.  Anyone else remember those warnings that can clarify?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:05:11 pm »
This is on the back of my 2000S's;

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:32:12 am »
No,  I'm fairly certain my Solarus had a power / speaker type warning (as opposed to effect on hearing).