Author Topic: 200s cab plan request  (Read 19223 times)

Offline catalin gramada

Re: 200s cab plan request
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 04:14:08 pm »
Hello
playing the bass at low level in my house I have this conclusion in terms of sound regards my project: it is very defined and more important very fast reponse and yes, it is tight. I did not felt any resonances or peaks over entire bass range (my cab has no lining or stufing inside and think it will remain like that).
negatives : it seems it have not enough low end, or anyhow not the low end I waiting for.Think the alignment with my speaker (fane axa 15b-300) it is not quite optimal. I did a experiment restricted partial the port with a book in front and the reponse goes down very sensible but also the bass comportament was modified in a sense it goes longer. In a short I want to keep the manifestation it have now but also to benefit from a litle more low end.
Question: have anyone experienced with different tuning this cab? modifying the port area or restricted the port with foam blocks for diferent alignment than original? do you have any sugestions , please ? Thank you
Cheers
Catalin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:39:48 pm by catalin gramada »
Catalin

Offline BUCK PRIVATE

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 05:17:32 pm »
better to contact someone from/familiar with fane and ask for the best design for their drivers.....

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 03:05:30 am »
Why no damping in the cabinet? That would be the first thing I would try.

Offline catalin gramada

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 07:06:23 am »
Why no damping in the cabinet? That would be the first thing I would try.
Hell0,
simply cause I did not felt it need it. the cab manifestantion looks right for my taste as it is,except the low end reponse. Do you think the lining will help, please ?
Thanks
Catalin
Catalin

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 02:05:22 pm »
I think pretty much any bass cab should have damping material inside, all of the Sunn cabs came that way from the factory. It can enhance the overall bass response, largely by damping mid and high frequencies and calming structural cabinet vibrations.

Offline catalin gramada

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 08:02:24 am »
Hello again.
found a pic relative at what seems to be a Sonic 1-40 cabinet. Can someone confirm if this one port solution was what Sunn used for all sonic1-40 model , or was just one version, please? Technicaly speaking is hard for me to understand from this pic what they did it.Maybe someone have a better pic and some dimensions,please. Want to try to build a replica. 200s is definely not for me. I have not 18 anymore.
Thank You.
Best Regards
Catalin

later edit: at first glance seems they used the same port opening like 200s cab (22.5"x4+"). the opening was limited by 1" furring on the sides (not sure) and 0.75"ply stripe on bottom (and maybe in superior side of port. not visible) to serve as support for grill frame, Then again the opening was restricted by the cutting in the frame -at ca. 18x3" ? judging by what I can large apreciate from this pic. So, in the end is not exactly a half 200s.it is a little bit different. There are also some small wood pieces there like cubes and small 0.5" parts I cannot find any justification - just if the furring stops at top of port and do not fololw entire lengh of sides, till internal bottom of cabinet..think.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:56:35 am by catalin gramada »
Catalin

Offline catalin gramada

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 04:53:26 pm »
more, some better view

again, the front grill looks like part of tuning assambly and also very intresting the lining filled into the vent works for tuning too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:16:52 pm by catalin gramada »
Catalin

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 08:32:03 pm »
Some of the Sunn amps like the Sonic I-40 had the smaller cabinet that they came with like the one you show there. It is basically half of a 200S cabinet.

I built myself something similar....I made the width when the cabinet was upright the same width as a 200S head. The height when the cabinet is upright is the same width as a 2000S cabinet, so that when I flip the cabinet I made on its side then a 2000S head will fit on it. The port is along the bottom and is the same width as a 200S cabinet, but the height of the port is half of a 200S cabinet port to keep the same bottom end frequency response. The bottom of the cabinet is done just like an Ampeg SVT cabinet so the back part of the cabinet has an angle cut into it where wheels mount and the cabinet can be rolled around. There are handles on the sides that are the same as a Marshall 4x12 cabinet. It has a JBL E140 in it, and then later I added a couple 6 inch tweeters too that I had Conrad voice a crossover for. I also had to greatly increase the internal support as the cabinet was too loose and would move itself backwards across a garage floor in a loud amp head was on top of it. It was pretty funny actually, but after the internal bracing it is rock solid now and stays where you put it with no cabinet rattles. With the different speaker in it, of course the cabinet sounds different than a 200S cabinet, but it actually sounds really good and I like to record with it. I can provide pics if you want though I don't have internal pics. The cabinet is front loaded btw, and it is filled with lots of damping material too.

Greg

Offline catalin gramada

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 06:01:56 am »
Hello Greg
I did a scketch from what I understood from this pic. The battens and bottom stopers for grill frame not figured.

at this model the "duct" seems to be huge comparative with 200s ca.5.25"inside and ca. 4.75 from front 0.5" furring.anyhow the opening in front frame limit the opening at ca 19"x3.75". The small pieces from bottom are just "stoppers" for front frame in bottom side. These are just mine supposition from what I aproximate from the pic. Some better pics will be wonderfull, please.
I'm very interested by your project as my intention it is not to rebuild a hystorical replica but a more smaler and weightness cabinet with similar comportment as big one.
Thank you.
Cheers
Catalin
Catalin

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 12:26:00 pm »
I think that the vent obstruction is just the grill frame rather than an actual oval port. As Greg says, it's pretty much just half of a 200S cab.

Offline catalin gramada

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 12:33:45 pm »
Hello Ed
Could be possible,did not saw how a sunn 1-40 cabinet looks like in my life. I just say what I saw from the pic, and in this pics the frame looks like is builded from plywood board, not from battens and it is routed as can see in a oval shape. Both pics shows  the same thing , but maybe are particular versions or maybe another type of cab.I have to ask if can provide some infos regard internal dimension, please. Half of 200s did not fit exactly 24"of 1-40. If the port is half, or even the same size like 200s that means it is a lot of room to acomodate any speaker inside from the back but in truth it is not, as I understand from some topics. Some dimensions are diferent for sure and I'm wonder if regards the upper section or the duct.Thank You for the infos.
Beste
Catalin
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:12:33 am by catalin gramada »
Catalin

Offline catalin gramada

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 06:53:05 am »
Hello
I did another sketch to see how exactly half size 200s port looks like into this 24" tall cabinet. 5.25"port height seems to fit more accurate. Maybe some of members here have this cab and can do some measurements for community, please. Allready have to receive another speaker BG15C from WGS to do also a comparison with old Fane Axiom I used. Thank You
Cheers
Catalin.

Catalin

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 10:49:50 am »
I think the actual port is somewhere between your two sketches. I've got a Sonic I-40, but probably won't have a chance to open it up until after the holidays.

I have a lot of experience with the WGS driver, and am personally a huge fan. To my ear they are similar to the EVM15L tonally and response wise. You might need to front mount it to get clearance; I'll see if I can try to get one into my Sonic I-40 cab from the back when I open it up.

Offline catalin gramada

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 01:52:02 pm »
I think the actual port is somewhere between your two sketches. I've got a Sonic I-40, but probably won't have a chance to open it up until after the holidays.

I have a lot of experience with the WGS driver, and am personally a huge fan. To my ear they are similar to the EVM15L tonally and response wise. You might need to front mount it to get clearance; I'll see if I can try to get one into my Sonic I-40 cab from the back when I open it up.

Thanks Ed, Great apreciate !
post a new one to have it for reference,Thanks.
Best Regards
Catalin

I put the hight of port twice cause depends how you are dispose to measure: inside to the bottom or from the beefy 0.5"furring of front
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:47:49 pm by catalin gramada »
Catalin