Author Topic: Sunn rigs of doom  (Read 158157 times)

Offline Paul of the Bastards

Sunn rigs of doom
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:09:04 pm »
Does anyone on the forum use their Sunns for doom metal? show us your rig!
'72 Concert Lead
'75 Concert Controller
'75 A212
'79 Beta Bass
'79 402
'79 105
'79 6x10L

Re: Sunn rigs of doom
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:21:06 pm »
'72 Concert Lead
'75 Concert Controller
'75 A212
'79 Beta Bass
'79 402
'79 105
'79 6x10L

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:23:53 am »
Sweet rig man.  Wish I had more Sunn stuff to show you guys or a band to play it in.  Still working on getting some 10"s for my 6x10S.

Hey, do you have any Leech albums?

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 02:53:34 am »
Ya it sucks really badly.  I only need three more, but will probably end up buying 6 new ones.  I'll probably sell the 3 Transducers that work to someone if they're interested in only 3.

Oh. Well I listened to your recording and the person that posted it(I believe the username was like ****** or something like that) some how is associated with Leech, a black metal band from Oregon(I believe).  The user who uploaded the recording was linked to a bunch of their songs and  I was just wondering if it was you.  I heard them years ago on myspace and then one day I looked for them and their page was gone.  Hadn't heard them again until last night and got really excited.  Thought I'd ask.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 05:13:00 pm »
Hey Paul, nice A212! I love mine. It brings the doom, and sounds HUGE! Are you powering another cab with it, or are you just using it as a combo?

I also see you're using a Beta Bass head. I thought about picking this one up ...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1292475106.html

... but it seems pretty weak to me, power wise. Only 100watts @ 4ohms. Does it supply enough power to both your 4x10" and 15" cabs? Another downside is the non-active inputs on those things. I really like using the active pickups on the Jaguar bass, as it sounds way more meatier.

Offline Jonathyn

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 08:20:53 pm »
I'll post some pics of my Sunn PB-10 Beta Preamplifier ran through my Sunn Sceptre with my Laney 4x12 cab with Sunn logo on it soon. The PB-10 I only won on ebay yesterday so it should arrive next week or early the week after. It's already been shipped.
 Btw, apart from enabling you to switch channels, what does the "both channels" input do in the Beta Series amps? Don't tell me that you can blend two channels together and even have twice the gain. I'll freak out if you can do that! The tone would be monstrous, eee!

:)
1969 Sunn Sceptre w/ GT6550
Modern Laney 4x12 with replacement Sunn logo

Offline Jonathyn

Elu of the Nine.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 08:32:28 pm »
Wow! Just wow! Elu of The Nine is amazing!!! I love this stuff! Occult drone doom? Yeaaaahh! This is the best extreme doom metal I've heard since Asunder's A Clarion Call record. Elu of The Nine, my new favourite band, what a find!! And that rig is just amazing. Love the black and white photo in particular. And damn, I want a A212 now. Never seen one before. It's the only Sunn combo I like the look of.

:-D

Offline django7866

• gatedoom
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:19:35 am »
I play in a doom metal band called GATE (gah-tey) which is Sanskrit for emptiness.
www.myspace.com/gatedoom
here is a pic of my rig:

I also have a concert bass that needs to be fixed, once that is repaired I will use it to power the 2x10x1x18 cab.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:57:19 am by django7866 »
Model T Reissue(sold)
74' Model T 1st Gen.
77' Model T 2nd Gen.
70's Concert Lead(sold)
70's Concert Bass(sold)
sunn Sonic II 60 watts(sold)
70's sunn 610L cab(sold)
412s cab
412 enclosure reissue
Sonic 2x10x1x18 cab

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 04:34:26 pm »
the A212 is the best Sunn combo I've heard, I really can't recommend them enough. Someone on the Portland craigslist a few years back was selling one that had been retolexed solid white with a black grill!

Behold, the off-white beast!

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 08:51:36 pm »

Behold, the off-white beast!

You bought that?? You live in Portland?? Let's put our A212s to work!
'72 Concert Lead
'75 Concert Controller
'75 A212
'79 Beta Bass
'79 402
'79 105
'79 6x10L

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 09:09:18 pm »
You bought that?? You live in Portland?? Let's put our A212s to work!

Indeed! It was up on Craigslist last October, and I bought it for $500. At the time the tubes were only 2 weeks old, all JJ's - 4 x 12XA7's and 2 x KT88's. He also had an internal bias pot installed at the same time he had those tubes put in and biased. Needless to say, I got a damn good deal.

Are you in Portland now, or are you still in down in Salem?

Offline django7866

• gatedoom
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 06:47:20 am »
Dude awesome rig!! what era is the Model T? also that 6x10 looks more like the 6x12, is it? Crushing doom to be found at that link for sure, far too heavy for myspace! Are you the one of with the Kramer? seriously heavy! I need to get myself one of those aluminum necks... anyway let's do a split LP/tape! check out the Elu of the Nine stuff and see if you're down with the drone..

Thanks! Your rig looks like it would do some serious damage as well. Unfortunatly the Model T is a fender reissue, but I will make do with it untill I find a first or second gen. I wish I had a sunn 6x12, but that is indeed a 6x10. It is fuuny that you metioned doing some sort of split, that song on myspace is the one we wanted to use for a split. I will share the links to your stuff, to the others and see what they think. I do love drone/doom, GATE is something i have been trying to start over the course 10+ years. So yeah I am down with doing something.  Send me a PM and i will give my email so we can work out the idea of this split. 
Model T Reissue(sold)
74' Model T 1st Gen.
77' Model T 2nd Gen.
70's Concert Lead(sold)
70's Concert Bass(sold)
sunn Sonic II 60 watts(sold)
70's sunn 610L cab(sold)
412s cab
412 enclosure reissue
Sonic 2x10x1x18 cab

Offline Jonathyn

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 01:38:31 pm »
I'm not in a band, but I play doom metal through my amplifiers. Mostly jamming to bands like Zoroaster, Sleep, Church of Misery, you know, those sort of bands. Anyway, I stacked up my amps just for the fun of it, and here's what it looked like.
 Btw, does anyone know anything about my 100 watt British solid state combo? It's the amp underneath the PB-10. My dad has had this combo since the seventies and it's unbranded. All it says on it is Lead 100, and it's got a 100 watt celestion speaker in it. I can't remember what model speaker. I'll have a look in a bit and re-post. We have no idea who made this combo. It doesn't really matter too much, cos it sounds pretty muddy and lacks brightness and treble. I've been using my PB-10 through it, and it's been powering the Laney 4x12 (Sunn badge on it) via a loudspeaker socket in the back of the combo. It sounds far from what the PB-10 should sound like through a tube amp and a 4x12, but hey, I don't have two step-down transformers at the moment to run the PB-10 through the Sceptre.
 And the photo is a bit poor, my camera is extremely cheap and small, my friend gave it to me when he got a new one, and as it turns out, he's lost his in the house somewhere as of yesterday. I even took the pic with the bedroom light on and the flash on the camera, ah well.
 Here is the pic...

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 02:48:02 am »
I'm not in a band, but I play doom metal through my amplifiers. Mostly jamming to bands like Zoroaster, Sleep, Church of Misery, you know, those sort of bands. Anyway, I stacked up my amps just for the fun of it, and here's what it looked like.
 Btw, does anyone know anything about my 100 watt British solid state combo? It's the amp underneath the PB-10. My dad has had this combo since the seventies and it's unbranded. All it says on it is Lead 100, and it's got a 100 watt celestion speaker in it. I can't remember what model speaker. I'll have a look in a bit and re-post. We have no idea who made this combo. It doesn't really matter too much, cos it sounds pretty muddy and lacks brightness and treble. I've been using my PB-10 through it, and it's been powering the Laney 4x12 (Sunn badge on it) via a loudspeaker socket in the back of the combo. It sounds far from what the PB-10 should sound like through a tube amp and a 4x12, but hey, I don't have two step-down transformers at the moment to run the PB-10 through the Sceptre.
 And the photo is a bit poor, my camera is extremely cheap and small, my friend gave it to me when he got a new one, and as it turns out, he's lost his in the house somewhere as of yesterday. I even took the pic with the bedroom light on and the flash on the camera, ah well.
 Here is the pic...

Big ups on Church of Misery!  Iron Monkey fan by chance?

Just so everyone knows, I'll be taking some pictures of my stuff within 2 weeks.  I don't play just doom.  I also play in a sludge band as well.  I also don't have much Sunn stuff, but I have a couple things.