Author Topic: Retubing a vintage Model T  (Read 1207 times)

Bingdaddy

Retubing a vintage Model T
« on: March 20, 2003, 11:32:11 am »
Hey everyone,
    I recently bought a vintage Model T that I use for bass. The thing sounds pretty dang good after about a week of figuring it out. I actually picked this thing up because I got ripped off on Ebay for a Mesa Boogie 400+ that the seller never sent. Anyways, I am considering retubing this amp because I have no idea the condition of these tubes and the last thing I need is a problem at a show. I know the Model T uses 4 6550's and 3 12AX7's to give it the large tones it has. I know that Groove tubes makes tube self-biasing kits that will allow you to use different power tubes and preamp tubes for amps that would otherwise not take those tubes. I am considering using some style of a 6L6 to power them. Does anyone have any information about these tubes, how they work, or what the difference in my sound will be? I like the depth of the Sunn, but due to the fact that i play punk/hardcore, I would like something that will offer a tighter warmer sound in the midrange/treble department and I have not been able to locate that sound yet. This is why i was originally attracted to Mesa Boogie. I have noticed that if my presence is up (which gives my lows the bass I like) that my treble will get really "gravelly" if I turn my treble up to a good level, or I can turn presence down and my treble up but my Lows don't have the same beef as they did. This is not a cab problem as I play a nice 4x10 rated for 400 watts. Any insight into this problem would be appreciated. Sorry about the long email.   Jeremy Bingham

Offline Mr. T

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 06:30:39 am »
I dont know how much different your sound would be if you switched from 6550 to 6L6 tubes, I personally would not switch because 6550's are my favorite but if you do change your tubes do not use Groove Tubes they are Crap! Groove clames to be Made in America but they are just Sovteck tubes with Groove Tube printed on them I would use Svetlana tubes or if you have the cash get some old stock GE, Tung-Sol, or Philips tubes.
 You might want to try some kind of pre-amp to change your tone, there are alot of cool tube pre-amps that can help you dial in the sound you need.

Offline thomas

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 06:49:17 am »
maybe you should check out JJ/Tesla tubes. they have a good price and as far as i know the quality is also good. check www.eurotubes.com for info. greets
Let it Burn....