Author Topic: Concert Bass Overheating Problems??? Help!  (Read 1782 times)

Offline craig arms

Concert Bass Overheating Problems??? Help!
« on: June 11, 2006, 09:51:53 am »
I have a silver face Concert Bass head, and it works perfectly except for one thing.  After about 20-30 minutes of playing at high volume, it just shuts off.  This has happened during gigs before and its a major problem because it won't start up again until it cools down.  i know that it didn't come with fan, so i'm wondering if installing a fan is the only solution to this problem?  any help would be appreciated.
looking for:
Concert slave
Coliseum slave
Coliseum bass
Concert Lead

Offline bradn104

• I think I have the only sunn amp in newfoundland!
    • http://www.roundelay.com
Re: Concert Bass Overheating Problems??? Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 11:03:16 am »
what ohm cab are you running it into. this will happen if you run it under 4 ohm(like 2 ohms) check the cabinet. are you using more then 1 cabinet?

-Brad

Offline craig arms

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:19:07 am »
i'm running it into an ampeg 8x10, which is 4 ohms, right?  just one cab.
looking for:
Concert slave
Coliseum slave
Coliseum bass
Concert Lead

Offline craig arms

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:49:23 am »
also, if anyone could tell me the best spot to install a fan on this bad boy it would be very helpful.  unless there is another solution...
looking for:
Concert slave
Coliseum slave
Coliseum bass
Concert Lead

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 11:36:34 am »
An ampeg 8x10 in good shape might be 4 ohms, but I don't know since I don't use ampeg cabs.  If you're not sure, then check it out and make sure - these amps just don't like less than 4 ohms.  If this just started happening as opposed to "always done this" then the cab would be my first suspect - you could have shorted out a driver and actually be running at less than 4 ohms.

It's been a while since I tore apart a concert and I really can't remember exactly where the thermal cutout is located - but i should be making physical contact with the heat sink.  But the next thing I would do is tear it apart and make sure there isn't an accumulation of dust, hair, dead animals or just plain crud all over it.  These things need to be clean to do their job properly and any junk built up on it is just going to hold the heat in.  If that doesn't fix the problem, then I would replace it - since they do wear out over time.

That big thick flattened V shape piece of metal on the back of the amp is the heat sink.  If you can get the amp to cut out check this and see if it feels hot to the touch.  In order for the heat sink to do its job, it needs to have free air flow behind it.

Other than that, the amp may have a problem anything from a shorted output transistor to a bad interstage transformer.  Take it to a tech.

Installing a fan is just a coverup to what the real problem is... and if you don't get that real problem fixed it will come back and haunt you.

Good luck!!

Offline craig arms

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 01:52:04 pm »
Yes, the heat sink always runs hot even after a session without any problems.  i'll have it checked out.  right now its my backup, so i can let it sit in the shop for a while.  thanks a lot for the info.
looking for:
Concert slave
Coliseum slave
Coliseum bass
Concert Lead