Author Topic: SunnO)) the band  (Read 44059 times)

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
Re: SunnO)) the band
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 01:32:49 am »
Saw them tonight(with Eagle Twin who was really good).  Probably one of the loudest, longest, slowest, and most memorable shows I've been to.  The venue looked like it was on fire.  Well worth the $15 I paid.  My bowels are still good to go.

Offline 0)))

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 02:00:28 am »
I saw them back in March...

I've never witnessed something as dark, extreme, brutal and amazing lke Sunn O))).

I would go to see them again and again. Just hope for their return :)

Offline spaceanchor

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 10:23:59 am »
I just started getting into them this past year - love their collaboration with Boris, and looking forward to seeing them live this year, and hope they bring their Moogs. While I'm at it - please forgive my ignorance - but what's the deal with stoners and Sunn amps? Nothing wrong with it, but what's the deal with Sunn being especially synonymous with doom/sludge/drone as opposed to any other amp?

Offline Paul of the Bastards

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 12:34:23 am »
please forgive my ignorance - but what's the deal with stoners and Sunn amps? Nothing wrong with it, but what's the deal with Sunn being especially synonymous with doom/sludge/drone as opposed to any other amp?

Dude. Have you ever played out of a sunn amp?
'72 Concert Lead
'75 Concert Controller
'75 A212
'79 Beta Bass
'79 402
'79 105
'79 6x10L

Offline grimniggzy

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 09:30:22 am »
the first time i saw sunn O))) it was here
http://www.r5productions.com/church.jpg
except with all the lights out, smoke/light machines ,candles lining the rows
and workers taking your tickets in grimrobes.
i can hardly imagine anything beating that.
Sunn Coliseum Bass--->Sunn 215B
Sunn Beta Bass--->Ampeg 410HLF
Sunn Beta Lead--->Marshall 4X12
2 Sunn Concert Basses
3 Fender P's, 1 Fretless J, 2 Statss, AmpegPlexiBass
OC-2 + QTrons + RATs + VTBass

Offline grimniggzy

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 09:31:21 am »
Sunn Coliseum Bass--->Sunn 215B
Sunn Beta Bass--->Ampeg 410HLF
Sunn Beta Lead--->Marshall 4X12
2 Sunn Concert Basses
3 Fender P's, 1 Fretless J, 2 Statss, AmpegPlexiBass
OC-2 + QTrons + RATs + VTBass

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:53 am »
the first time i saw sunn O))) it was here
http://www.r5productions.com/church.jpg
except with all the lights out, smoke/light machines ,candles lining the rows
and workers taking your tickets in grimrobes.
i can hardly imagine anything beating that.

:-o  Win. 

Offline madaradio

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 03:54:30 pm »
I've heard that the bassist has found a frequency that paralyzes your butt muscle, so if you have a bad stomach at one of their concerts, too bad:)

Mike Pinder, the orignal keyboard player from the Moody Blues once said, that he believed that if you slowed down a bass note to it's oscillating frequency, and then played it backwards, it would cause your bowles to move.  Can you just imagin that at a concert with 60,000 people...Holy Shit....literally.

the brown notes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tinnitus

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »
I've heard that the bassist has found a frequency that paralyzes your butt muscle, so if you have a bad stomach at one of their concerts, too bad:)

Mike Pinder, the orignal keyboard player from the Moody Blues once said, that he believed that if you slowed down a bass note to it's oscillating frequency, and then played it backwards, it would cause your bowles to move.  Can you just imagin that at a concert with 60,000 people...Holy Shit....literally.

no, really! There was a legend about a weapon the military tested in the 1960's: A 52' long concrete horn (long-throw, for battlefield), and a 12 Hz tone (amplitude is a state secret apparently) that would cause the sphincter muscle at the end of the colon to relax. yes, Virginia, there IS a brown note.

Also, pay attention to your Industrial Hygiene manual (OSHA).... prolonged exposure to low frequency, loud noise will cause male sterility. (!) I'm sure they mean those guys riding motorbikes, not playing the hi-fi set..(?)

And, so, where are all of the old amplifiers going to? I was researching cathodic stimulation of plants on the Google. No, they don't go to make your geraniums grow better. It looks like the s&m people have found out about TENS stimulation (it makes a muscle contract, among other things). you go look, I'm too traumatised.  OOkkk, I'll be putting another lock on the building with the Sunn collection.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 12:46:59 pm »

no, really! There was a legend about a weapon the military tested in the 1960's: A 52' long concrete horn (long-throw, for battlefield), and a 12 Hz tone (amplitude is a state secret apparently) that would cause the sphincter muscle at the end of the colon to relax. yes, Virginia, there IS a brown note.

Also, pay attention to your Industrial Hygiene manual (OSHA).... prolonged exposure to low frequency, loud noise will cause male sterility. (!) I'm sure they mean those guys riding motorbikes, not playing the hi-fi set..(?)

And, so, where are all of the old amplifiers going to? I was researching cathodic stimulation of plants on the Google. No, they don't go to make your geraniums grow better. It looks like the s&m people have found out about TENS stimulation (it makes a muscle contract, among other things). you go look, I'm too traumatised.  OOkkk, I'll be putting another lock on the building with the Sunn collection.

Why on earth world any band (and I use the term "band" very loosely) be interested in making people defecate in unison? Would that somehow actually enhance the concert experience for the audience?
Is it like a "Smell-O-Vision" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision) film; you both hear and smell crap simultaneously?
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but personally I would be a little reluctant to purchase a ticket for, or even attend a free "crapfest".

And as far as a military application, how exactly would you get a 52' concrete horn to the battlefield? Let's say they did; what benefit would there be in making the enemy even madder and smell bad because they soiled themselves?
Am I missing something here?  :?

Seriously, Whatever anybody likes sonically is OK by me, and I hope no one is offended by my remarks; feel free to poke fun at the art forms that I refer to as "music".   :wink:

Offline EarthRumbles

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 10:55:58 am »
I totally agree that if you have seen them once you've seen them enough. When I saw them at The Middle East I was upfront at the beginning but it was so static and slow on stage I eventually just sat at the bar and watched, which was actually way better. My bar stool just rumbled and shook the whole time, brutal. Oh some dude upfront ended up falling over and was brought outside, also brutal.
Reissue Model T
Sunn 412L
Sunn Beta Lead 410 Combo
Sunn 610L
Pair of Sunn Model 2
Pair of Sunn AX12
Sunn SPL-2216
Sunn SPL-412

Offline tinnitus

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 12:57:20 pm »
I remember listening to some girl stuff (Celine Dion(?)) once trying to 'share' with a woman when I realised that there was an actual Bass track in it-- somebody playing along on a bass musical instrument-- and rather than heaving as would have been the sensible thing, I think I uttered an involuntary 'Good God' (which started a fight, but what doesn't). But, this explains where some of the Sunn rigs go, that I hadn't thought of, and now people step forward and reveal who is there plucking the strings. I would rather think the rigs are generating drone with the knobs all on "11".

It seems the choice today is between losing your bowels out the bottom or back up through the gullet. 70's punk is still the greatest! Long live poor taste and no talent!

Offline matto)))

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 07:56:14 am »
this sunn looks cooler

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 09:03:05 am »
this sunn looks cooler
That has to be from the late 60's -very early 70's, very cool.  :wink:
Where in the world did you get those pictures?