Author Topic: SunnO)) the band  (Read 45192 times)

Offline snarzdar

• If it's too slow, you're too young.
    • lowered expectations
Re: SunnO)) the band
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2010, 06:21:30 pm »
Here's a video I took at the sleep show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZymvjkAO5s

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2010, 02:15:29 am »
that captures alot of what we saw and heard here in Frisco! thanks for that-that was a heavee ass show
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2010, 02:47:15 am »
Here's a video I took at the sleep show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZymvjkAO5s

With Jason Roeder on drums......  :evil:
NICE!!
check and contribute: http://postyourrig.blogspot.com/

Offline MusicFox

• Zoot Suit Riot
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2010, 02:07:26 am »
I've heard that the bassist has found a frequency that paralyzes your butt muscle, so if you have a bad stomach at one of their concerts, too bad:)

It's called the "Brown Sound" and many a PA operator or band has had revenge on a bad nightclub/concert operator. (Everyone runs for the cans......anything will do... sinks, Urinals, garbage cans, the floor...) You need a LOT of power to do it.... 11 Hz I think it is...
Bands currently. For Fox Sake (Lead Guitar) Aces High (5 string Bass) Zoot Suit Riot (Tenor Sax) Miles to Midnight (Fretless jazz bass) Rockfish (5 string bass) Spent Youth (5 string bass) Tried as Adults (5 string bass)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2010, 08:32:04 am »
I've heard that the bassist has found a frequency that paralyzes your butt muscle, so if you have a bad stomach at one of their concerts, too bad:)

It's called the "Brown Sound" and many a PA operator or band has had revenge on a bad nightclub/concert operator. (Everyone runs for the cans......anything will do... sinks, Urinals, garbage cans, the floor...) You need a LOT of power to do it.... 11 Hz I think it is...

I think “Brown Sound” is actually a synonym for Brownian Noise, or Red Noise, and the phenomenon you are describing is called the “Brown Note”.
I also think it’s a myth.
There is little doubt that sub audible frequencies at high amplitude have a physical effect on the human physiology. I’ve spent a fair amount of time at close proximity to seriously powerful sub woofer systems, run RTA’s on huge systems < 20hz. I’ve felt dizzy and a little nauseous, had my vision blurred, even had the air in my lungs effected to the point where my voice sounded like I was talking into a fan, but no “butt explosions”. The first I ever heard of the phenomenon was at dance clubs in the 70’s, when big clubs had high dollar, big watt “thump” systems for the genre. At times it seemed that better than half of the patrons were in the bathroom at any given time, the story started that the subs were making people crap uncontrollably.
The term used then was the “Disco Dump”.
Personally I think it was actually a combination of alcohol and Quaaludes, and the fact that the bathroom stalls were the only place you could pack your nose (that is; without having to share with everybody  :wink:)

Also, if it were a conscious effort by a band or a PA operator, where would they perpetrate this event from?
It does take a serious amount of juice to produce sub audible bass effect, but it goes everywhere. 11hz? Kind of like flood water, it would get into every nook and cranny. How would these nefarious pranksters pull of this revenge of which you speak without falling victim to the uncontrollable bowel syndrome themselves?

Has anyone here ever actually personally succumbed to the effects of this supposed “Brown Note”? If so, please share! Be sure to take into consideration any intoxicants that might also have caused the “incident”.

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2010, 12:10:18 pm »
Mythbusters(on Discovery) did a test for it.  Said it wasn't real.  Ya it's tv, but they seem pretty reliable if you ask me.

Offline snarzdar

• lowered expectations
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2010, 03:17:08 am »
If you can hit around 7 hertz (which is completely inaudible by human ears) you will make people feel extremely nauseous. Merzbow used to do it live with 2 enormous subs. A good friend of mine is donating me his 1,000 watt 30" sub so I can experiment with more ways to make the crowd hate us.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2010, 12:42:06 pm »
If you can hit around 7 hertz (which is completely inaudible by human ears) you will make people feel extremely nauseous. Merzbow used to do it live with 2 enormous subs. A good friend of mine is donating me his 1,000 watt 30" sub so I can experiment with more ways to make the crowd hate us.

That's interesting, I'm real curious about how that works out for you.
Not to be a spoil sport, let's say for the sake of discussion that 7hz is the legendary "Brown Note".
I'm not looking to start a war, I'm genuinely interested in learning about how you plan to go about this goal.
So... with all hyperbole aside and without this thread degenerating into a BS fest, how many of those 1000 watt drivers and how much power do you figure you'll need to reproduce 7hz at high enough SPLs for people to feel it?
What equipment did "Merzbow" use to generate a 7hz signal and get it to a high enough SPL to make you nauseous?
A loud band with pro gear is around 130-140 dB, let's use a more conservative 110 dB; about as loud as sticking your head in a kick drum.
Also, 110 dB in the center of the theater was the target achieved by Cerwin Vega\BGW when they built the "Sensurround" system for Universal Studios.
However; they only got down to 17hz, 7hz is a whole new ballgame.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »
a bunch a hooee is what i call the brown sound or effect or whatever it is.
some people work in that area of 'infrasound' and you dont see them walking around w/ skidrow johnnies on:http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/story/35-sounds_of_silence.html
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2010, 03:45:02 pm »
Snarzdar, let me know when you and your band are ready to try your 7hz experiment. I'd like to see/hear that!
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline snarzdar

• lowered expectations
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2010, 12:22:54 am »

That's interesting, I'm real curious about how that works out for you.
Not to be a spoil sport, let's say for the sake of discussion that 7hz is the legendary "Brown Note".
I'm not looking to start a war, I'm genuinely interested in learning about how you plan to go about this goal.
So... with all hyperbole aside and without this thread degenerating into a BS fest, how many of those 1000 watt drivers and how much power do you figure you'll need to reproduce 7hz at high enough SPLs for people to feel it?
What equipment did "Merzbow" use to generate a 7hz signal and get it to a high enough SPL to make you nauseous?
A loud band with pro gear is around 130-140 dB, let's use a more conservative 110 dB; about as loud as sticking your head in a kick drum.
Also, 110 dB in the center of the theater was the target achieved by Cerwin Vega\BGW when they built the "Sensurround" system for Universal Studios.
However; they only got down to 17hz, 7hz is a whole new ballgame.

This is a valid question with excellent points. I don't know if this sub will able to go anywhere near 10hz to begin with. I'm getting it for free so I'll investigate more then. One of my good friends has a sound company that leases PA systems all over town. He recones speakers fairly often and I'm assuming once I get ahold of this thing I could have him take a look at it. Either way I don't think we will be making anybody ruin their pants, I'm just curious as to how it could affect people in confined spaces. We've played shows in the past that have had people come up to us afterwards and say they felt dizzy, sick, etc... this is actually what peaked my interest in the matter. When I mentioned it to my old roommate he told me about how he saw merzbow perform in europe and he had 2 very large subs on each side of the stage and supposedly did the brown noise experiment to nauseating degrees.

So yeah... I'm in very light stages of expirimentation right now. I'll definitely post my progress.

Snarzdar, let me know when you and your band are ready to try your 7hz experiment. I'd like to see/hear that!

Actually I saw that you have an 8 ohm 15" sub for sale on craigslist. How many watts? I am actually looking to get ahold of 2 8ohm 80 watt 15" speakers.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2010, 06:02:04 am »
by the time you do your brown note experiment...

I'm waiting for this item to come in the mail...need to listen loud!

http://www.discogs.com/Sunn-O--Earth-Angel-Coma/release/621772
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2010, 04:46:06 pm »
Snarzdar, I'm sorry but I just noticed your post asking about my 15" speaker. Since it came out of a Studio Bass, I'm sure it's good for 50 watts and probably a bit more than that, but I can't say for sure it'll handle 80. If you want to take a look at it, shoot me a PM or e-mail and we can get together.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline tinnitus

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2011, 10:12:54 pm »
This band is solely responsible for making the prices of Model T's and all other Sunn amps jump up 10,000%. What a bummer.

Oh, I've seen them live twice. I learned once you've seen them once, you've seen them enough. Fortunately, Boris and Thrones played the second time I saw them, so it wasn't a complete waste. Boris was absolutely amazing live.

You have to put the blame back ten years further, to the early 1990's. SunnO))) are Sleep worshippers. Sleep was devoted to the early '70's tube amplifier technology for making doom songs. -tinnitus (WHAT?)