Author Topic: SunnO)) the band  (Read 44370 times)

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
Re: SunnO)) the band
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2010, 07:01:11 am »
go see that review of a Sunn O))) show, it expalin very well what's all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1duvy3ewoks

I want to go see them september 5th! 6h drive for me! and the 7th in Brooklyn!

If you can, go see them!

http://www.atpfestival.com/artist/altar.php

Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »
go see that review of a Sunn O))) show, it expalin very well what's all about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1duvy3ewok

lov sunn but that is the biggest load a crap on utube! is it an audtion tape for some bad review show? ugh-so self important-"i've dabbled in drone-yadayadayada...>fail<. you really dont need this info for sunn. go see them or hate them from afar-this guy dont mean much(to me)
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2010, 03:46:45 pm »
oh, well I just found him funny and like he said, you have to see them to understand.

just remind me of my friend who saw them few years ago and he's still shocked...it's so funny when he's barely able to described how crazy it was...people puking in the restroom, people leaving after 10min...warning for cardiac people at the entrance...my friend laying on the the floor the all show because he  couldn't stand the wave of sound otherwise...and the funniest part, he oscillated on the floor and travel trough the place laying on the floor...LOL! that's were I laugh at him! «quit smoking that shit it's too strong»...lol! :lol:

sorry if you didn't like it. :oops:

anyway I would love to go see Altar SunnO))) & Boris! but it's 6h drive from Montreal! how come North American tours of my favorite bands tend to be in the US only, we're just the other half of it!? :x

even Sleep will be there! it's a reunion or something!?
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 05:37:13 pm »
even Sleep will be there! it's a reunion or something!?

That's correct. I wish I could be there for the Altar show. Sleep is playing here in Portland really soon.  :mrgreen:

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 12:53:02 pm »
Going to go see SLEEP on the 4th of September and then on the 13th of October!
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 01:12:25 pm »
you lucky guys will have to report on the Sleep show with pics and video! :wink:

...perhaps in another thread...hehe!

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2010, 01:39:57 pm »
yep SLEEP w/ THRONES here in frisco on the 12th-yamobethere :-P
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline HRobert

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 06:25:40 pm »
I've heard that the bassist has found a frequency that paralyzes your butt muscle, so if you have a bad stomach at one of their concerts, too bad:)

That myth has been floating around for decades.  Back in the 60's, keyboard/Mellotron player Mike Pinder with the Moody Blues hypothesisized that if you take a bass note, slow it to it's oscillating frequency, and they played it backwards at about 120db volume, everyone in the room would have loose bowels.  Talk about a show stopper
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:39:51 am by HRobert »

Offline HRobert

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 06:30:14 pm »
I'm 59 years old and I guess I'm old to appreciate the Drone sound of Sunn ((O)))...or just don't get the music; however, but I respect the decisions of those who like the band and it's music.  What I don't understand is how the band can use the SUNN logo?  Can anyone enlighten me as to how they got around the legal aspects of Logo and Copyright ownership?

Rob

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2010, 12:28:51 am »
huh? sorry been out all nite drinkin-from what i have read on the web(always subject to ridicule)
the sunno)))    logo was not in use when the band gott together so-i guess they just went w/ it and waited for the slings and arrows legal and otherwise to appear...and they never did. go figure
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline HRobert

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:22 am »
huh? sorry been out all nite drinkin-from what i have read on the web(always subject to ridicule)
the sunno)))    logo was not in use when the band gott together so-i guess they just went w/ it and waited for the slings and arrows legal and otherwise to appear...and they never did. go figure

It makes no difference if Sunn the company was not manufacturing amps or equipment when Sunn the band started, the Logo and the rights to that belonged to an owner.  When Hartzel Corp went out of business the assets of the company were turned over to whom ever was in charge of handling the disbursment of the Corps. finances and physical materials. Fender bought Sunn...which includes all rights to patents, designs, logos, trademarks, etc.  i can't figure out how the band can use the logo.  Guess I'll write Fender to find out.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:40:52 am by HRobert »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2010, 09:17:29 am »
the sunno)))    logo was not in use when the band gott together so-i guess they just went w/ it and waited for the slings and arrows legal and otherwise to appear...and they never did. go figure

It makes no difference if Sunn the company was not manufacturing amps or equipment when Sunn the band started, the Logo and the rights to that belonged to an owner.  When Hartzel Corp went out of business the assets of the company were turned over to whom ever was in charge of handling the disbursment of the Corps. finances and physicak materials. Fender bought Sunn...which includes all rights to patents, designs, logos, trademarks, etc.  i can't figure out how the band can use the logo.  Guess I'll write Fender to find out.

I would imagine that they could be forced to stop, as you post somebody owned the rights to the trademark. I think the point is, why waste the money and human resources pursuing them?

You know the old saying; “You can’t get blood out of a stone”?

I think it applies here. Their art form is so fringe, and their revenue likely so insignificant that I doubt Fender could even recoup their legal fees to sue them, and so obscure that any negative overall effect that they have on the brand is negligible at best.
Couple that with the fact that Fender isn’t even using the Sunn name presently, and I would think the attitude at FMIC is “Who cares?”.

I’d also imagine that if the artist(s) who appropriated the name ever were to achieve any success, it would be a different story.
If there was any money to be had, or even if the artist’s influence reached a point where a measurable percentage of musicians (read; “potential Fender customers”) would identify the artist’s trademark infringement directly to FMIC, I’ll betcha Fender’s attorneys would be on them like a duck on a June bug.

I asked a Fender AR guy about it at a NAMM show a couple of years ago and his answer was “Who?”. I tried to explain it and he said “Really? There’s a group out there calling themselves Sunn, spelled S-U-N-N? Hmmm… I wonder if legal knows about that.”
That was in ’07 or ’08, be sure to post what Fender responds to your inquiry now, Rob. I’m sure many forum members would be interested in what they say. Wouldn’t it be funny if they actually had FMIC’s permission to use the trademark, and even funnier if they were paying to do so?

Offline John Matrix

• Art Things
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:31 am »
yep SLEEP w/ THRONES here in frisco on the 12th-yamobethere :-P

I am beyond pumped for this! Glad ended up getting tickets for the show with Thrones opening. That dude is intense.
http://archradish.blogspot.com

Beta Lead 212, Concert Lead into a 412L, Schecter Tempest Classic

Offline snarzdar

• If it's too slow, you're too young.
    • lowered expectations
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 11:04:58 am »
I'm going to the sleep show in Chicago September 9th. Any of you guys going to that one?