Author Topic: need help and input with the amp i'm building  (Read 2953 times)

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
need help and input with the amp i'm building
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:36:16 pm »
so i am building a amp head in the 100 to 120 watt range with a clean channel and a fuzz channel,
my needing help part comes in with the fuzz channel i have never heard of anyone putting a fuzz in instead of overdrive, so does anyone know if this is even possible? so ideas are of great help.

other info about amp build is

8,16 ohm taps  may or maynot do effects loop  using 4 6L6 power tubes  and 4 maybe 5 preamp tubes
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: need help and input with the amp i'm building
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:30:44 pm »
Sure its possible to add fuzz. Its basically the same thing as sticking a fuzz face or similar unit in front of your amp. So build a fuzz face circuit on the input inside your amp, make it switchable so you can turn the effect on or off, and you're good to go. of course you could just use a fuzz pedal and build a good sounding amp too. BTW, overdrive is something that happens naturally in tube circuits when the gain coming in is more than the tube can amplify cleanly. Tubes can't keep up with the demands placed on them by such a large input signal, so they do what they can, and then they start to distort and compress, which generates lots of 2nd harmonic and to a lesser extent, 3rd harmonic, and all of that serves to fatten up the sound and makes it much nicer to play than a cleanish solid state amp.  One last thing, if you've nver built an amp before, starting with a simpler circuit such as a champ or similar build is a much wiser course of action than jumping right in and building such a complicated amp.

Greg

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 01:49:03 pm »
In the very very early TAPCO days (while they were still in Mukilteo) they added a control they called "dirt". Just so their "too sterile sounding" transistor amp sounded more like tubes. Sort of a mini fuzz effect.
You'd have to ask Martin or Greg how they did it. I didn't have it put on the one they made for me.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:09:03 am »
  Hi there,if I remember right,the old Peavey Musician series of amps,(1st generation from the 70's),had a fuzz in the preamp,the Acoustic 360 had one also and I think the Gibson SG series of amps had some type of fuzz/overdrive.You should be able to find these schematics fairly easy,they might be of some use for your project,good luck,Mel.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 04:54:13 pm »
so from what i understand here theres no way to get the tubes to overdrive into a fuzz type sound i would have to put a fuzz in along with the tone stack if i am reading this right.
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213