Author Topic: ITT: "popular" bands with upcoming releases...  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
ITT: "popular" bands with upcoming releases...
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »
By popular bands I don't mean radio friendly stuff.  We already know every radio friendly band nowadays has their next 20 albums planned out, release date and all.  Also, I am looking for more larger bands, specifically label signed bands, so unless you think it's the perfect album and has to be heard by everyone please don't post your band's demo(even though I am sure it's great and maybe there should be a 2.0 version of this thread later) or just any other band that you think is good.  I am looking for bands that have some sort of label to trace them back.  I hope this makes sense.  Worst case scenario this thread will fall apart and just get loaded with cool music.  Hope this paragraph made sense.

Also, I think it would be beneficial to just edit your first post if you plan on posting in this thread alot because I know of certain posters that listen to similar music as myself and it would just be easier to find them/their post if it was all condensed and would leave this thread less cluttered in the end.  If this doesn't work, whatever.

Band- Album Name (release date)
Torche- Songs for Singles EP (9.21)
Kylesa- Spiral Shadow (10.26)

I figured this was the best spot for this topic, but if an admin is against the thread placement, by all means move it.  Also, I just thought this was kind of a cool idea so if an admin is against the thread in general, they can delete it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:31:38 am by Addam »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: ITT: "popular" bands with upcoming releases...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:36:03 am »
I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. However, reading between the lines it seems that by "popular" you actually mean "bands that I like". It stands to reason the "radio friendly stuff" to which you refer are in actuality the truly popular bands relative to the general population.

With the advent of social networking sites like myspace music, etc., and inexpensive recording software anyone can be a "signed band", all you have to do is make up a label name and build a free templated web page. There are numerous examples of that just on this forum alone.

I think this topic; "Bands" already does a good job of covering the limited appeal niche bands, and as you infer the "radio friendly" artists have mega budget PR departments to make sure everyone knows about upcoming releases. Obviously the fact that the “Bands” forum is actually supposed to be limited to bands that use/used Sunn gear is also a limiting factor as far as radio friendly band with upcoming releases, because although some of those bands still get substantial airplay, the vast majority of those artists are either passed away or long retired.
I truthfully have no idea what your idea actually is, but using the word "Popular" in the subject line would indicate an invitation for people to post Justin Bieber's or Taylor Swift's upcoming releases rather than posting upcoming releases from the comparatively miniscule demographic that I suspect you are referring to as "popular".

As I said, IMO the “Bands” forum already has an abundance of limited appeal niche market “artists” represented; and if my guess at what you are trying to accomplish is correct, I think it’s an overly redundant thread idea. But, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. I would suggest changing the title from "popular" bands with upcoming releases... to “(fill in the appropriate genre)” bands with upcoming releases…

And, what does “ITT” mean?

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 09:17:49 am »
International Telephone and Telegraph Co.?  :-D
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 11:28:14 am »
ITT: in this thread

I'll just lock it.  Seems like the wrong forum to do this now that I think about this thread a little more.