Author Topic: Celestion or Eminence  (Read 4704 times)

Offline O))

Celestion or Eminence
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »
Do you guys prefer eminence or celestion loudspeakers? I think most sunn amps came with eminence. Why is celestion double the price??

Offline foxfire

Re: Celestion or Eminence
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:29:13 pm »
i just loaded one of my boxes with 3 vintage 30's and one warehouse veteran 30 to see how it sounded under my 350L. it was quite disappointing and boring, no character. i will say that i thought they sounded better under my sound city though. i spent a good week trying different speakers in different boxes and ended up where i started with 2 old (ripped and repaired) square magnet eminences and 2 (also muffed up) cts speakers out of an old peavey cab. the combo gives me the "hollow ring" i'm looking for. i did however just pay for 4 celestion g12t100 because they were cheap and i've heard they aren't all that bad. i should have them sometime this week...

Offline O))

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 07:08:27 pm »
I'm leaning towards the eminences. It seems like celestion and eminence are about the same except that celestion's business with fender raises their prices. I think the later sunn amps use eminence anyway. Let me know how that works out for you.

Offline nattkua

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:19:19 pm »
I run Celestions in both of my sunn cabs and I love the way they sound.
Nat

Offline foxfire

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 05:59:24 am »
I run Celestions in both of my sunn cabs and I love the way they sound.

which model(s)?

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:44:07 am »
I have a Vintage 30 & a  G12H30 (Hellatones actually) in my Solarus  2X12 and I love the sound.  No experience to speak of with Eminence, but the Celestion were a definite improvement over the 40 yr. old Sunn speakers that they replaced.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:08:51 pm »
Do you guys prefer eminence or celestion loudspeakers? I think most sunn amps came with eminence. Why is celestion double the price??

Call me old school, but I prefer the sound of the JBL's.  The 60's Sunn amps ( 66, 67, and I believe 68) originally came with the D series.  When I built my cabs I couldn't find any D 130's that were (a) in good enough condition, or (b) weren't going for collector prices if the were in good condition...so...I found 4 JBL K-130's and they sound great.  3 are reconed and one is original.  Can't tell the difference.  If you can find them, try the JBL's.

Rob

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 06:20:57 pm »
Call me old school, but I prefer the sound of the JBL's.

Me too.

Offline foxfire

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 04:18:46 pm »
so i finally got a chance to load the g12t100's in to an old sound city cab and i gotta say, they sound frick'n great. les paul>rat>350L>400watt box=very very good things...

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 07:13:44 am »
I've got the Emi Big Ben 15'' & Wizard 12'' and I love the sound!
there's a thread about it...

Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115