Author Topic: Similar heads?  (Read 2034 times)

foal

Similar heads?
« on: August 17, 2003, 01:38:27 pm »
Does anyone know of any heads that sound similar to  Model T, but arnt made by Sunn. I live in canada and im having trouble tracking down any SUNN heads, i can find all the cabs just no heads! Also ill be running it through a 610L bass cab... any thoughts on the guitar through a bass cab its a 6x10" setup?  Please help me out!!!! 8)  :roll:  email me at oldfoal@hotmail.com

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Similar heads?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 07:02:55 pm »
For what it's worth, the 610L is not a bass cabinet. The L stands for lead. Designated bass cabinets had a B.
Isaac

Offline iammr2

Similar heads?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 09:01:09 am »
Quote from: Isaac
For what it's worth, the 610L is not a bass cabinet. The L stands for lead. Designated bass cabinets had a B.

That's not necessarily correct.  There were no "B" designated speaker cabs in the first generation line.  There were "S", "SH", "M", "MH", etc...  "B" model cabs showed up after Hartzell sold Sunn.  You just used whatever cab you though would sound good.
There are two types of pedestrians - the quick and the dead!

Anonymous

Similar heads?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 07:47:50 pm »
Cool...

But back to the original question.

The closest thing you could come to in a "model T" type circuit would be a 100watt Marshall head with 6550 output tubes instead of EL34's.  Marshall did produce these as stock for a couple of years or so.  There is a modification in Pittman's tube amp book for converting marshalls from one type output tube to the other.

That would get you close circuit wise... but I don't know about sound.  There would still be some differences - like is the first tube running with split or combined cathode resistors... the voltage of the power supply, the amount of iron in the output transformers...

Anonymous

Similar heads?
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 01:35:24 pm »
Quote from: iammr2
That's not necessarily correct.  There were no "B" designated speaker cabs in the first generation line.  There were "S", "SH", "M", "MH", etc...  "B" model cabs showed up after Hartzell sold Sunn.  You just used whatever cab you though would sound good.
Quite right, but there were no "L" designated cabinets, either.

Back to the original question, are we talking about the original Sunn Model T, or the one from Fender/Sunn?

Anonymous

Similar heads?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 10:07:33 pm »
"iammr2 wrote:
That's not necessarily correct. There were no "B" designated speaker cabs in the first generation line. There were "S", "SH", "M", "MH", etc... "B" model cabs showed up after Hartzell sold Sunn. You just used whatever cab you though would sound good.  "

the "L" and "BH" designations are in the '79 catalog page 9. i thought that that was a hartzell era catalog. the cabinets are badged as sunn (not FMIC.)

http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/catalogs/       check the parent directory for the 1979 catalog and look at page 9.

it has been my experience that the 6 10 L red logo speakers don't make real great bass speakers. the original 10" speakers are too fragile for that.
i played bass through a 610L cabinet with modern long excursion drivers and it was killer for upper register tone and really positive transient reponse but didn't move enough air for low register response. no chest thump in that box!

a pair of 115BH cabinets with black widows driven by a red knob concert lead and concert slave made me shove the hartke aluminum cone 15 and 410 into the closet, lock the door, and throw away the key!

Offline iammr2

Similar heads?
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 08:36:40 pm »
Well, I checked Rich Briere's site and he says that Hartzell owned Sunn from 1971 into the early 80's.  So we're both a bit right.  Apparently they owned it when the design changes (what I call second generation) occurred.  Still don't recall any "B" designated cabinets in the first generation, but as we can see here, I may be wrong.  My apologies for that.
There are two types of pedestrians - the quick and the dead!