Author Topic: Amp for Guitar and Bass  (Read 1176 times)

Offline nevergoesout

Amp for Guitar and Bass
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:39:00 am »
I'm interested in getting a good amp that I can use for guitar and bass. I have been looking at the concert and coliseum series amps and thinking about getting one. Do I have to get a bass specific one or can I just get a guitar amp and go through a bass cab? If you have any other suggestions for good guitar/bass amps I'd appreciate it.

Offline Robbie Nuke

Re: Amp for Guitar and Bass
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:35:19 pm »
Guitar/Bass amps pretty much interchangeable in most cases as far as the amplification process goes (except for reverb effects which should be disabled from the circuit in a high volume situation since loud bass notes may cause the reverb springs to vibrate and generate a rumble/crashing sound). Few amps are EQ'd specifically for one or the other, but either way it's just a matter of changing a cap in the preamp circuit (usually guitar amps roll-off more low freq signal). Almost any vintage Kustom, Acoustic, Peavey or Sunn will do. Just get a 100 WRMS (or more) if your dealing with a drummer! But the Sunn Coliseum 880 is probably the best amp ever designed for such a task.

It's the speakers that matter the most since guitar speakers usually won't handle the onslaught of a cranked bass amp signal. A good 4x10 or 2x12 sealed (i.e. no ports/slots) bass cabinet would be the best compromise sound. Ports/slots will add more low freq range (which may or may not be desirable).

Offline rick.heil

Re: Amp for Guitar and Bass
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 06:56:55 pm »
Robbie has it right, its the speakers you have to watch out for  a guitar speaker might not handle bass at the volume you want to play it at (unless you're Jack Bruce and you like the crunch).