Author Topic: wiring help  (Read 3957 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: wiring help
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 08:27:17 pm »
As Joe and Isaac are saying, I think speaker power ratings are subjective at best, and like power amps the ratings can be pretty much whatever the manufacturer decides to use as their rating criteria.
I've never seen an amp rated for more output than its power consumption though, but I rarely look for consumption ratings except with modern multi-amp megawatt sound systems in old venues.
In the early 90's I regularly ran an amp rated at 600 watts per side @ 4 ohms (Carver PM 1.5) into Hartke 410XL and 215XL sub module cabs, x’ed at 85 hz, both 4 ohm and rated at 400 watts.
No problems, and I would run my rig very hard at outdoor venues, sometimes 4 to 6 times a week in a stupidly loud, but lucrative alternative band.
I have better luck with more power rather than less, if I was were using a 200 watt amp at those levels I'd be clipping constantly and no doubt would have toasted some drivers.

Offline magilla

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 10:04:52 pm »
i've officially come to the conclusion that wiring doesn't make any sense what so ever to me
i don't know what to do

i think i'm just going to put them in and see what happens

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 05:21:25 pm »
Hey Ed, take a look at a Yamaha MX 660 powered PA mixer. It claims to be 300 watts per side...and consumes 135....total. I've seen it on Berhinger and Sampson stuff as well.

Magilla, it really doesn't matter how you wire them as long as the total impedance matches what the amp wants to see.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 07:24:56 pm »
Hey Ed, take a look at a Yamaha MX 660 powered PA mixer. It claims to be 300 watts per side...and consumes 135....total. I've seen it on Berhinger and Sampson stuff as well.

Magilla, it really doesn't matter how you wire them as long as the total impedance matches what the amp wants to see.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll sell off my real gear and buy crap, I think I can probably buy 20,000 Berhinger/Sampson watts for about $175. And I can probably run the whole rack on one 15 amp circuit, just think of the savings in energy alone!

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 05:20:18 pm »
And don't forget...you'd be running "Music Power" as well. What could be better for a musician, eh?

Hey...maybe we could solve the whole energy crisis thing...can you cook a hamburger with an amp that puts out 600 watts but only uses 135? Or a 100 watt light bulb that uses 20...wait..they have those...CF's...darn, they beat me to it again.

Offline magilla

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 10:08:46 am »
i decided to run the speakers independently until i get a head that doesn't suck
i have to 8 ohm jacks on my head so i'm just going to do that for now
i figured thats the safest way to do it
thanks for all your help

and does anyone have a sunn 4 or 6 x 10 that they want to sell me?
i don't care if it has speakers or not

thanks again