Author Topic: removing speaker grill  (Read 3342 times)

Offline 1keoni

removing speaker grill
« on: June 25, 2007, 03:03:38 am »
Aloha Everyone,

Don't know but hoping someone can give me some help.I have a Sunn 215S that I have had since I was in high school (purchased on 8/13/72).I have never been able to remove the speaker grill and I need to so that I can deal with a  termite issue.This has been an on going battle for the past few years and so far I seem to be winning.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John   

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: removing speaker grill
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 04:14:52 pm »
Mine had six screws in the front that held it on. The older ones had screws from the back, the back of the cabinet comes off. I thought I saw a picture of one that looked like it had velcro or some other two piece fastening material in the corners. Have you tried a thin screwdriver alnog the edge at the corner and gently prying it?

Offline Johann

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 04:56:33 pm »
there are three types of grill connections that I have seen on sunn cabinets. one is where there are screws on the front holding them on, two is where there are little locking plastic parts that snap on to the grill, and the third is where the grill is stapled to the baffle board and you have to take it off and remove it that way.

on my 68 solarus 2x12 it's stapled, and just on the 2x12 alone the board is attached by 24 screws and held on by at least twice as many staples, so I shudder just thinking of what the 2x15 would look like if it is attached this way

Offline 1keoni

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:22:25 pm »
      Thanks guys,yes I have tried prying the edge with a flat blade screw driver and I am reluctant about applying much force for fear of damaging the frame or cloth.I plan on removing the back lid today once I get home from work.I have seen screws that could possibly hold the speaker grill in place from the inside of the baffle board,so hopefully that will do the trick.I would hate to have to find a replacement grill or worse another Sunn 2 x 15 cabinet (shipping to Hawaii is very costly) if I am unable to control or erradicate those pesky termites.

John

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:31:51 pm »
If the back comes off, the grill is probably screwed on from the inside.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:24:26 am »
But not necessarily. I have two 200S cabinets, one has a grill removable from the front, the other does not.
Isaac

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 05:32:34 pm »
That's what is so fun about these Sunn's....what you have from May of 1968....might not be the same as one from June of '68.

I just made new speaker boards for my 215 cabinet. I used 5/8" plywood and cut out the inside, then streached new cloth over them. I wanted to keep the originals just in case some day it might make it worth... 10 bazillion dollars.

A tip I found out; lay the grill cloth on the floor and place the speaker board under it. Make sure the weave lines are straight to the board and then start stapling.  do not pull on the cloth. Once one side is done, making sure you have 12 to 16" on the other end, staple a 1X2 along the far edge and then use the thinner board to pull the cloth. Make sure the line all are straight again before stapling. By using the board to pull the cloth...you get a nice straight stretch without wobbles in the lines of the grill cloth. Once you have oppisete side done, the other two are done the same way

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 04:58:01 pm »
Here is a picture of the cabinets with new grills and grill cloth. If you look close at the head, you can see the waves in the lines of the cloth. This was the first one I did. The 115 bottom was second and is better but has a bit of wave on the  bottom right edge. The 215 and the single 15 cabinet were the last ones I did and I think they came out pretty good.

The small cabinet is a bang together to try the JBL 2115 8" speaker for the higher frequencies. It sounds amazing with the 215. Next step is to route the edges, cover it with tolex or carpet, put some corners and a handle and put some of the matching grill cloth on it.

Hope the picture comes through.

Offline Johann

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 05:27:47 pm »
I like your 115BH, how you've put a silver grill and logo on it instead of the red and black, it looks great.

if I could find more silver logos I'd do that to my two model 3's that have no grills to make them match up to my old silver 2x12

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 09:16:49 pm »
I made a new frame from 5/8 plywood, covered it with new grill cloth. I put new cloth on all the cabinets and the head. The logo....painted it. I bought the one for the 215...it didn't come with one...just a black grill that left the ports open.

I like the 115BH, it really shakes the room. Not too bad for moving either...a bit deep...not too heavy though. It sounds great with the 2115 as well. But it sounds best with the D130 in the other cabinet...a well balances sound...IMHO :wink:

Offline 1keoni

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 05:38:21 pm »
Well I was able to remove the baffle board and speaker grill and was surprised to see that it was one piece.By being able to do that it made the process of applying the insecticide that much easier.I also went ahead and replaced the rubber gasket (weather striping) around the baffle board and the back panel and the insulation inside of the cabinet.One of the things that I do regret is spray painting the grill cloth black many years ago,oh well live and learn.Thanks guys.

John