Author Topic: Any Sunn lovers into Hiwatts?  (Read 4836 times)

Offline mattoreg

Any Sunn lovers into Hiwatts?
« on: October 28, 2013, 07:09:09 pm »
I love my Sunn amps, but now I'm starting to crave a DR103.  Anyone have one?  I play guitar if that means anything. Any members share the love with hiwatt?  I've never played one, have only read about them.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Any Sunn lovers into Hiwatts?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 05:03:50 am »
I've gigged both a CP103 and a DR103 with  bass but don't own either one. I currently have both Custom 225 and Custom 400 Reeves amps, which are based on the Hiwatt DR201 and DR405 circuits respectively, and I gigged Hiwatt DR201's fairly regularly for a while; all with bass though.

IMO the Dave Reeves circuit amps are a bit bigger, bolder and cleaner than the Dynaco/Sunn circuit amps. I think you would find similar differences with guitar.

Offline mattoreg

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 06:49:05 pm »
Hey Ed,
Very cool, man you been rockin some serious power!  Yeah I play guitar, so I'm thinking a 50 watter or 100 should be more than plenty.

Any guitar guys out there?

Matt

Offline Sunny Boy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:27:37 am »
I bought a new Hiwatt 100 head back in 1973.  I hated it for guitar, but for bass it was the best thing I'd ever heard.  Why not for guitar?  Too loud and clean.  It wouldn't break up at all with the Strat I was playing through it. Very sterile, lifeless, and way too "in your face".  I traded it to a guy, straight up, for a 100w Marshall and was much happier.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:31 pm »
Yep, a 100 watt Hiwatt with a guitar is obscenely loud and clean as a whistle. I don’t think it’s sterile and lifeless but almost painfully “in your face”. It was a different time; the name of the game in the olden days was to design amps to be as accurate as possible, and Mr. Reeves certainly accomplished that mission.
Remember, the “improvement” between tweed and blackface Fenders was less distortion.

That pursuit of loud and clean is also a Sunn trait, just one more of the many similarities between Sunn and Hiwatt IMO. However there are definite plusses to the loud and clean. Both amps take pedals extremely well, so it’s pretty easy to get dirty with an add-on. There are always ways of “dirtying” an amp up, but there is no pedal that will clean up a nasty amp, so again IMO the “big clean” amps have an inherent advantage overall.
This super clean Hiwatt characteristic was address by Reeves when he designed Pete Townshend’s signature amp, the CP103, which uses additional and linked gain stages and a slightly “hotter” output to fatten it up a little, but it’s still a clean machine.

It seemed to work pretty well at Leeds though…

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:51:50 am »
Well it's almost a HIWATT...I just picked up a 70-72 Sound City 50 Plus with a '78 4x12 120w cab and love it but has the "Crunch" unlike Sunn's.

Offline mattoreg

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 07:22:08 pm »
Right on.  I've got sunn coliseum pa head.  I'm thinking maybe it gets into hiwatt territory.  Anyone have any experience with this amp as well as a hiwatt?