Author Topic: sovtek mig + sunn coliseum slave = ???  (Read 3796 times)

Offline alexm

sovtek mig + sunn coliseum slave = ???
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:08:12 pm »
Hey everyone, I've just spent a while searchin old threads about how to run a coliseum slave with other heads.  I'm still wondering how I would run my set-up.  Here's the deal:

I have a sovtek mig 100h amp and I want to use the coliseum slave to make it louder.  I can't find any ohm ratings or impedence info anywhere on the slave.  I assume that I would just run the pre-amp out from the sovtek (not use any of the 16, 8, or 4 ohm outputs), and into the slave.  Then from the slave to the cab.  The trouble is, I don't know how many ohms I should set the cab too.

What would you guys reccomend for the best, and loudest, set-up so I don't fry anything.

I really appreciate any responses.  Thanks!

Also, I don't know if there are any newer or older versions that may make a difference, so here's pictures of the one I got...

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: sovtek mig + sunn coliseum slave = ???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:08:13 pm »

A solid state coliseum slave will drive a minimum speaker load of 2 ohms. I recomment you stick with a minimum of 4 ohms, just cause I like to be safe... but the coliseum is rated at 320 watts rms at 2 ohms.

I don't know your mig amp. If it is solid state, then you won't have any problem. However, if it is a tube amp, make sure you remove the power output tubes if you only want to use the preamp. Failure to do so will destroy your output transformer.

If it is tube and you want to use both the preamp output and also route the mig to a speaker cab, then there is no problem as long as you have the mig plugged into a speaker cab before you power it up.

Offline alexm

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 07:46:18 pm »
it's a 100w tube amp.  does it matter what ohms i use coming out of the mig to just plug it into the cab so i don't destroy the output transformer?  should i just match the cab rating or do i have to add them or do something special since the cab will have two loads coming on it?

will i be getting power from the mig and the slave if i do it that way?

Offline Johann

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:35:24 pm »
alright, I think I understand what you want to do here.

there is no magic way to add volume to any head, other than to just turn it up louder.

the way the slave heads work, as with any power amp, is to receive a signal from a pre-amp, and then power it into some extra cabinets. for instance your rig could consist of the mig 100 powering 1 cabinet, and the pre-amp out from the mig going into the coliseum which in turn is powering another cabinet.

from what I can gleam from your syntax I assume you just want to plug them together, turn them both on and hope it gets louder, which I suppose is an admirable quest, but not really what they were made for. hope that clears things up.

Online Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 02:32:46 pm »
it's a 100w tube amp.  does it matter what ohms i use coming out of the mig to just plug it into the cab so i don't destroy the output transformer?  should i just match the cab rating or do i have to add them or do something special since the cab will have two loads coming on it?

The slave doesn't care what the impedance selector is set to.

will i be getting power from the mig and the slave if i do it that way?

The only way you will get power from both amps is if you have both amps plugged into speakers. Separate speakers, a different speaker for each amp. If you plug them both into the same speaker, one will no longer work, requiring expensive repairs.
Isaac

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:17:33 pm »
To hammer it some more...match the impedance of the mig to the cabinet(s) that it is connected to via the speaker jacks on the back of it. From what I could tell the mig 100h has a "line out" jack on the back from which you would run an instrument cable to the input of the slave amp which will have it's own speaker(s) to drive via it's output jacks.