Author Topic: NOS Tubes for Sunn Solarus....  (Read 14825 times)

Offline paulcampo

Re: NOS Tubes for Sunn Solarus....
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 03:56:33 am »
Hey has anyone tried out those 'Yellow Jacket' EL84 adapters for a Sunn head? I must say after having the Sunn for a couple of weeks its now the LOUDEST amp I own...Damn its a loud one to drive!...I have a pretty good stockpile of EL84s I could try out if those yellow jacket adapters really work....I hear it drops the volume 40% or so and drives at an acceptable volume...maybe just the thing when you cant crank the Sunn up? ...anyone know if these things are worth trying?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 07:52:16 am »
Hey has anyone tried out those 'Yellow Jacket' EL84 adapters for a Sunn head? I must say after having the Sunn for a couple of weeks its now the LOUDEST amp I own...Damn its a loud one to drive!...I have a pretty good stockpile of EL84s I could try out if those yellow jacket adapters really work....I hear it drops the volume 40% or so and drives at an acceptable volume...maybe just the thing when you cant crank the Sunn up? ...anyone know if these things are worth trying?

Can't say I have. I didn't think they made them for 6550 replacements - maybe they do?

A friend uses two of them in a Twin Reverb. They do cut the volume which is what he wanted.

Offline paulcampo

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 06:21:26 pm »
I think I'll pick up a pair of the Yellow Jackets and try them out....They make them for 6550,EL34,6L6 and also a seperate model for 6V6 amps, though I think I would keep the 6V6 sound instead of the EL84 as they almost put out the same wattage but a different tone...I'll get them tonight or tommorow and report my findings...I pretty much have good pairs of all the good sounding EL84s except for the incredibly rare Genelex N709 (their EL84 number)...and at $1000 bucks a pair, I'm pretty sure I'll never hear them!
http://store.tubedepot.com/pe-n709.html

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 03:40:54 am »
Hi,

just wanna go back to the solid state rectifier question (saw it on a few tropics now). I use a ssr instead of the gz 34 tube in a sunn sorado for bass. It came with the amp. I think there is a slight difference in the sound when I use it instead of the gz 34, lets say more headroom. But there is another thing about the solid state rectifer: it does really reduce the noise!
I think it's very interesting that Sunn switched to diodes (solid state rectifier) when they produced the 350B and 190B.  I had a long discussion with a friend of mine about this, it went like: what is a vintage sound and is the vintage sound possible withe a solid state rectifier etc.

Greetings

Oliver
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:38:39 am by Oli »
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline djc

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 03:42:49 pm »
I've played a Sonaro with 6550's and a solid state rectifier and a 200s with KT88's with a GZ34.  I like the GZ better.  granted there could be other minor differences in these amps.  I found the solid state gives more head room, and I thought more useable power but the natural sounding sag of the tube I like better.  Others have said the solid state has a more tight, controlable bottom end.  I found the opposite.
cheers

Offline paulcampo

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 04:46:06 pm »
I have the Sunn Solarus and it came with a solid state recitifer....I just got a nice Amperex 'DD' getter GZ34, but dont want to try it without a rebias as I was told I could fry my power tubes...I just want to hear the difference for a minute!...any specific rectifier tubes that you guys are using that you like? Anyone know if you can sub a different rectifier (maybe a 5U4?) to also lower the volume/headroom without causing problems?

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 05:32:20 pm »
Oli, the SS rectifier sub actually has more switching noise than the tube rectifier does, but perhaps there might be less total system noise with the solid state rectifier....I've never really thought about it that way.

Paul, since the rectifier converts AC to DC inside your amp, any change at that point with a device that does that function more or less efficiently will affect the DC on the other end, and this includes the plate voltage, bias voltage, etc. Essentially every DC voltage in the amp is controlled by the function of the rectifier and how well it does it's job. It isn't too hard to learn to set the bias yourself if you really need to hear what it sounds/feels like to use the tube rectifier and you can't wait for a tech to do it for you. It would require something like a Weber Bias Rite meter to do quickly and easily however. There are others out there too like the Bias King, but I think Weber's product is superior myself. You could sub in a 5U4 or other rectifier tube, but there are other considerations there. Each rectifier tube type draws a given amount of filament current from the 5v winding on the power transformer, with the 5u4 drawing around 3 amps. The GZ34 draws closer to 2 amps of filament current. If the winding is specced for a GZ34 (which it is) then they may not have included the extra filament current capability necessary to run a 5u4, and doing so could cause the power transformer to run hot and burn itself out. Further, something like a 5U4 is much less efficient and will drop the plate votlage quite a bit. (around 50v compared to around 17v for the GZ34.) This will lower the headroom and give much more sag. It will also lower the volume on a very marginal basis. If you don't want to deal with the filament current considerations, then you could sub in a Weber Copper Cap that emulates the 5U4 and see what the affect is and if you like it, but this would still require a rebias.

Greg

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 06:27:41 pm »
I've played a Sonaro with 6550's and a solid state rectifier and a 200s with KT88's with a GZ34.  I like the GZ better.  granted there could be other minor differences in these amps.  I found the solid state gives more head room, and I thought more useable power but the natural sounding sag of the tube I like better.  Others have said the solid state has a more tight, controlable bottom end.  I found the opposite.
cheers
Were you playing guitar or bass?
Isaac

Offline djc

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 07:30:11 pm »
Were you playing guitar or bass?

Bass on both.  I've tried the sonaro with a 2X12 marshall for guitar, pretty good, I prefer some guitar amp combos, for the 200S I want to build a 2X12 cab and see, or, cheaper thought, borrow my buddies 2X12 marshall and see if the 200S preforms with guitar as well.

I would undoubtedly take the 200S with the GZ34 over the Sonaro with the SS rectifier.  funny thing is the Sonaro sounded just like my 200S currently does before it (Sonaro) was retubed, biased and the SS rectifier installed.

Offline paulcampo

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 08:12:34 pm »
I'm still new to Sunn amp history, but isnt it that all of the Sunn heads taking two 6550 tubes were actually the same amp and the different names were given to designate the different speaker configurations? 

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 08:04:08 am »
I'm still new to Sunn amp history, but isnt it that all of the Sunn heads taking two 6550 tubes were actually the same amp and the different names were given to designate the different speaker configurations? 

True - The same head when used with a different speaker configuration was given a different name.

False - you can't reverse that and conclude that all heads were the same.

Example: all my girlfriends were women, therefore all women are my girlfriends.

Offline djc

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 09:14:10 am »
nice Socratic argument, I think it's a socratic argument, philosophy was a long time ago :)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 10:02:58 am »
So yes, a lot of the amps were the same. The Sceptre and Sentura II heads had identical circuitry, but the Sceptre had a 4x12 cabinet while the Sentura II had two fifteen inch JBL's.

Lots of good information along this line here: http://www.richbriere.com/Sunn_Shack_2.htm
Isaac

Offline paulcampo

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 08:41:16 pm »
so whats the final verdict on this statement: "all of the Sunn heads taking two 6550 tubes were actually the same amp"...I realize that Sunn went to a S.S rectifier (1972?) and the early combos apparently were very different in circutry using EL34s, but in regards to the late 60s-early 70s head models using two 6550 tubes...