Author Topic: 15" Folded Horn Speaker Cabinet Dimensions  (Read 15038 times)

Offline Spliffpfunk

15" Folded Horn Speaker Cabinet Dimensions
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:44:05 pm »
Hi Group
Does any know where I can obtain the dimensions for the 15" folded horn speaker cabinets that were available with the 2000S?  Actually , Does anyone know where I can obtain any dimensions or schematics for any Sunn Cabinets.  I am a Finish Carpenter/Cabinet shop owner who is looking to build 2 of the folded horn cabinets to go with my 2000S. 

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: 15" Folded Horn Speaker Cabinet Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:52:38 am »
Hi Group
Does any know where I can obtain the dimensions for the 15" folded horn speaker cabinets that were available with the 2000S?  Actually , Does anyone know where I can obtain any dimensions or schematics for any Sunn Cabinets.  I am a Finish Carpenter/Cabinet shop owner who is looking to build 2 of the folded horn cabinets to go with my 2000S. 

The exterior dimensions are 48" x 30" x 15". Here is a rough sketch that seems dimensionally proportionate.
http://sunn.ampage.org/site/schematics/foldinghornr.gif
I have never accurately measured the porting, but I guess I could open one up and draw an accurate blueprint if I get sufficiently motivated.
If you are serious about building a couple, you may even find a viable market for 2000S clones. 
I might even need one myself :wink:
By the way, where is your shop located?

Offline Spliffpfunk

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 02:17:28 am »
My shop is in South Florida.  We do Vintage Amp head box and Speaker cabinet repairs and complete restoration.  I also have a couple software programs that my son runs where we design Custom Custom Speaker cabinets for our clients.  We build and sell them loaded and unloaded with speakers.  I just last week got a Eminence distributorship.   We do  all types of vintage replicas.  I  Do all the  Folded Horn work.   We have done many Sunn and Acoustic Control restorations.  I working on  2 Sunn Cabinets for myself right at the moment, when I have extra time that is.  They are the Sunn Coliseum PA 6x10 Cabinets. The ones with the off axis mounted speakers.  So if there is anything I can do for you forum members, let me know.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 08:15:56 am »
My shop is in South Florida.  We do Vintage Amp head box and Speaker cabinet repairs and complete restoration.  I also have a couple software programs that my son runs where we design Custom Custom Speaker cabinets for our clients.  We build and sell them loaded and unloaded with speakers.  I just last week got a Eminence distributorship.   We do  all types of vintage replicas.  I  Do all the  Folded Horn work.   We have done many Sunn and Acoustic Control restorations.  I working on  2 Sunn Cabinets for myself right at the moment, when I have extra time that is.  They are the Sunn Coliseum PA 6x10 Cabinets. The ones with the off axis mounted speakers.  So if there is anything I can do for you forum members, let me know.

I'll get you the acurate dimensions for the 2000S cab. Eventually. I know everyone is busy, but... I'm only  occasionally in the same city as my Sunn gear and finding time to disassemble and measure one is hard to come by, but it would be interesting to see what your estimate of cost would be. What wood, joints, etc. would you use?

Offline Spliffpfunk

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:52:42 am »
My method of construction  is similar if not superior in many ways.  I use only Baltic Birch 11 ply void free   3/4" plywood.   Not the Asian Crap you see at Home depot and Lowes.   I order all my Baltic Birch thru one of the local Custom Millwork companies.   All  the assembly is done with Rabbet joints and  Baffles are Dado'd in where applicable, except when building a Marshall or Ampeg style
Guitar cab.  Every piece of assembly has Polyurethane glue on it before   we screw in 2 or 3 screws per board  to pull everything togather and them we use the Air stapler or nailer to finish.  I'm talking about the cab assembly here.    All our work is done in house between myself and 2 sons.   I make it a point not to cheap out on  any of the material we use.   That goes from Cab Corners to Tolex to Grill cloth.  I have  a very capable shop having been in the business since the late '70's.    I have repaired and disassembled about all the major brands  and what they are producing now, and alot of it is  disappointing.  I can tell you who's building crap and who's not.      My prices are still  in line with everyone else.  Usually a little less in price. 

If I can answer any more questions  just let me know

Offline RxJxVx

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 02:52:04 pm »
my 2000S cab makes an awful farty sound and the bottom rattles BADLY when i select the humbucker pickup on my bass guitar.  i opened it up and did not see any structural anomalies.  can either of you (or anyone else out there) offer me any insight as to what the problem may be and how it may be remedied?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 05:54:32 pm »
For reference, you do have two D140 drivers in there, right?
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 06:47:30 pm »

Yeah, definitely - speakers do make a difference. Bottoming out usually means that the mechanical compliance isn't sufficient and the acoustic compliance ain't sufficient either.

Of course, farty sounds could be a result of the amp and not the speakers if the speakers are not bottoming out. What amp are you driving the 2000s cab with?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 07:11:25 pm »
Of course, farty sounds could be a result of the amp and not the speakers if the speakers are not bottoming out. What amp are you driving the 2000s cab with?

With other cabinets, does the bass usually get a lot louder or "growly" when you switch to the humbucker?
Sounds like voice coils bouncing off magnets to me.
For reference, you do have two D140 drivers in there, right?
What amp are you driving the 2000s cab with?
D series drivers and harsh clipping transistor amps don't usually play well together.

Offline RxJxVx

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 07:15:56 pm »
actually the D140F spkrs are not in there any more.  it was my understanding that they wouldn't handle what i am putting through them very well.  the speakers are eminence kappa 15's

the amp is a coliseum bass head - year unknown the front panel does not have any black paint on the top or bottom as most of the older coliseum amps i have seen do.

the dude i got the cab from was playing a 1200w ampeg head thru it, (and it actually sounded pretty good) but i like to run a pretty hot / dirty signal at times, and i was under the impression that the original JBL's would not be ideal for my application.  i still have the JBL's and i am using them in a guitar cab right now that i don't put any more than 100w through (ampeg V4).

do you guys think the JBL's would actually handle the coliseum well and reduce the fart factor?  i just don't want to blow them up in case i ever want to sell the cab......hope this helps.

Offline RxJxVx

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 07:18:32 pm »
i didn't see Ed's response before i posted mine, but the humbucker does definitely give the bass a bit of a growl.  that's why i like to use it when i'm using distortion.  the cab sounds fine with the other pickup selected.  the farty sound seems to only be coming from the bottom of the cab, but that may be my imagination.

Offline Spliffpfunk

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 11:49:58 pm »
Hi group   
As soon as I get some dimensions  I'll  do an accurate cost estimation for the cabinet only .   Then I  Will be able to build the Folded Horn replica's for everyone who wishes one, or any other Sunn Cabinet.   As Soon as I get the needed time , I'll finish my web page so everyone can see some of our work and services.  As for Loading the Horn replicas with speakers I wish to let everyone know that  if you are interested in the cabs being loaded with eminence speakers , I'm the guy you need to talk to since I am a dealer for the Eminence speaker line.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 09:17:12 pm »
Is the 200S cabinet a folded horn? I thought it was called a ported cabinet.

Usually folded horn means the path is folded back on itself in order to reduce the dimensions. I believe Sunn made some folded horn cabinets. You cannot see the speaker from the front. They also made the 115 and 215BH (back horn?) which are rear loaded. The speaker faces front and the back goes through a horn arrangement. The old EV Elimenators and the Acoustic 360 cabinet would be true folded horns. I don't know what the designation was for the folded horn cabinets, 115RH (rear horn?)? I see a 118MH with a true horn in the catalog pages.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 09:55:13 am »
It's a ported cabinet, but Sunn called it a folded horn. I've no idea why.
Isaac