Author Topic: Newbie quetion  (Read 14530 times)

Offline Jenkster

Re: Newbie quetion
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 09:15:39 pm »
Pics I hope!

Offline Jenkster

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 09:16:55 pm »
Another!

Offline Jenkster

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 09:17:48 pm »
#3, Here you can seen the clean spot on the right side where something was mounted???

Offline Jenkster

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 09:18:43 pm »
#4, Better view!

Offline Jenkster

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 09:19:38 pm »

Offline Jenkster

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 09:20:42 pm »
Last one! Thanks to my daughter for her help!!!

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 10:49:27 am »
wow i've never actually seen a real dynaco.

i bet you it would sound AMAZING if you plugged a record player into it. :D

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 11:12:45 am »
That is a true classic amp. So glad to hear you are restoring it and appreciate it's value both as a piece of history and as a fabulous amp.

Thanks your daughter for us as well. Yeah, I need to ask my son how to do some stuff on my computer....what happened to me being the smart one?

No, I did that stuff a long time ago.........

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 03:02:35 pm »
Here is a shot of what the Sunn Badge and knobs should look like. The jack by the boost switches is not original. The Badge is from the first run of amps. I have seen examples of amps like yours with the newer non-(R) badge but that may not have been original. There is a schematic here:

http://sunn.ampage.org/site/schematics/mod60.jpg

Offline Jenkster

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 05:55:41 pm »
Thanks for the info and pic loudthud, I appreciate it! The input jack not being original makes sense now. I suspected the missing piece in the rear of the cabinet may have been the original input(s) box. Looking inside the pre-amp, the top input was obviously wired differently than the rest of the pre. Would you happen to have a picture of the rear of the original cabinet? If so, I would appreciate seeing what it's supposed to look like. Any idea if the bulb is a significant part of the circuit? Oh, I assume the badge was attached to the front of the cabinet? I would sure like to find one of those badges!!!

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »
That box or whatever it was is not original. The back panel of you amp looks original. There are 4 jacks. The two closest to the end were the inputs and the two near the center were the speaker outputs. The little cage from the picture I posted on Ampage is over the input jacks. Inside there should be a 68K resistor from each jack soldered together and to a piece of coax that plugs into the preamp via an RCA jack.

Bulb? I don't know what you are talking about.

Those badges are extremely rare. Here's a picture of various different badges.

I think the oldest Sunn O))) badge is the smallest one with the non-bold font.

Offline Jenkster

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 06:59:09 pm »
OK, that makes sense now, thanks! The cage is there and my confusion was the two jacks on the left were maked, in pen, with an 8 and the two on the right with a 4. They were all connected to the amp output, left 8 ohm tap, rt. 4 ohm tap. Someone was very busy with the insides of this amp back in the day as it is obvious all these mods are very old. Any chance of a picture of the inside of the pre-amp??? Regarding the power bulb, I have read where in some amps they were a part of the circuit. The bulb in this amp is missing.

Thanks again for all the help!

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 08:17:03 pm »
  Hi there,about the power bulb,don't worry about it in this amp.I believe what you are refering to is what used to be done in cheap amps without a power transformer.They series all the heaters on all the tubes to add up to around 117 volts,this may or may not include the pilot light,so if the bulb was missing the amp wouldn't come on.The down side to this is that if the amp won't come on,you have to check all the tubes and the light to see which one is bad.This was real popular in those 5 - 6 tube "table top" radios of the 50's and 60's. As long as you have a power trans.,you're ok.Just replace the bulb,but the amp will work fine without it.Good luck,Mel.    P.S. You're lucky,I'd kill to have an old one like that !

Offline Jenkster

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 09:42:21 am »
I really appreciate all the info. Not sure what direction I'm going to go to get the amp up and running correctly. Everything that was done is reverseable save for the added jack in the top plate. :x I will probably restore the inputs to their original locations. I'm assuming one output was an 8 ohm and the other a 4? I will keep the forum posted on my progress, that is if anyone is interested. Again, many thanks for all the valuable infromation!!!