Author Topic: Sunn Model T Wiring Diagram  (Read 18716 times)

Offline deathfaces

Sunn Model T Wiring Diagram
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:15:22 am »
I've been researching tube amps, becuase i'd like to build on at some point.  I found the schematic for the sunn model t online.  If anyone has a model T wiring diagram, i'd be really appreciative and could make a trade if i've got anything you're interested in.  I'm new to the inside of amps, so i'd like something i could put side by side to get an idea of what on the diagram is what on the schematic, rather than reading several books to learn how to read schematics. I'm just curious at this point.

Thanks for your help.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline the_bleeding

Re: Sunn Model T Wiring Diagram
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:54:34 am »
i'm working on drawing one up currently, i have the schematic, but its so badly drawn im having trouble figuring what connects where. The schematic looks pretty much like a bassman, so im refering to those to edit it.

If anybody could tell me what the ratings of the chokes were in model t's, they would be my hero. Thats the only unlabeled component on the schem that i havent figured out. :)

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:02:06 pm »
i tried to help, but all i could find was that picture of the choke.  i can barely make out the numbers, and doubt they are anything besides part numbers from the parts list that doesnt seem to exist, haha.  looking forward to seeing your diagram once its done.  thanks!

Offline cromag

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:26:32 pm »
there is a place that sells clone kits.  you can get a plexi, orange and one close to the T.  i forgot who the company is though.  the kits aren't that much but the are half way around the world and the shippng to the U.S. is like 300 bucks.

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 06:25:10 pm »
i tried to help, but all i could find was that picture of the choke.  i can barely make out the numbers, and doubt they are anything besides part numbers from the parts list that doesnt seem to exist, haha.  looking forward to seeing your diagram once its done.  thanks!
yeah, the numbers on the choke are just a part number :(
i've been talking to different techs who've worked with them and i have one guy whos pretty sure that theyre rated at 4 henry's, but didnt give me details on the ampage.

there is a place that sells clone kits.  you can get a plexi, orange and one close to the T.  i forgot who the company is though.  the kits aren't that much but the are half way around the world and the shippng to the U.S. is like 300 bucks.
hey man, are you talking about Weber kits? they're made in the us, and they make a sunn 100s interpretation... its not an exact clone, but its their take on it.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:38:08 pm »
The chokes Sunn amps are 1.5 Hy 200mA about 50 ohms. Triode Electronics makes a replacement or there are several Hammond units that will work. The Hammond 159V is bigger, but you'll only need one.

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:30:48 pm »
are you working on a diagram for the first gen or second gen model t?  i'd be interested in a first gen.

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 10:51:02 am »
The chokes Sunn amps are 1.5 Hy 200mA about 50 ohms. Triode Electronics makes a replacement or there are several Hammond units that will work. The Hammond 159V is bigger, but you'll only need one.

i. love. you.  :cry: these are tears of happiness. Are you sure these are the model t chokes though?

and the diagram im making is from a first gen schematic, though when i finish it i'll probably move onto a second gen. I want to make some modified clones for personal use and compare the original tone stack to the bandaxall of the mkII.

since the guy i got the choke info is potentially wrong, does anybody know the value of the rectifier diodes? JoeArthur? I know one is a in4004, but what are the other two? Are they in4007's (like i was told) or in4004's....

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 08:21:08 pm »
first gen, awesome, exciting!

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 05:02:14 pm »
I'm not sure what the original part is that Sunn used. 1N4007's are only rated at 1000PIV and the circuit really wants something that can stand 1200V. If it's any consolation, almost all 4007's I test on a curve tracer show no signs of breakdown at 1500V which is as high as it will go.

No reason to think Sunn would use any choke other than the one used in the Dynaco amps. If they were going to get another part, why would they use two in parallel?

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 05:16:30 pm »
are all the parts available to make a clone?  i am considering building a tube amp, and a model t clone would be a very exciting build.

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 03:03:30 am »
a 120 watt ultralinear output transformer doesnt exist, unless you want to shell out the dough for a custom build. You could make a half power version though....

everything else does as far as i know. All i want is some concrete confirmation on the rectifier diodes and chokes from a model T owner who can test the parts. :)

after that i can list everything needed :):):)

Offline cromag

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 01:27:36 pm »
"there is a place that sells clone kits.  you can get a plexi, orange and one close to the T.  i forgot who the company is though.  the kits aren't that much but the are half way around the world and the shippng to the U.S. is like 300 bucks."

i don't think this is the place that has the "model T -ish" amp kit.  i didn't see it in there.  now i can't remember the name of that company.   but this is the place with the crazy shipping prices.....

Ceriatone.

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 01:48:20 am »
ceriatone doesnt have an orange or sunn copy. Weber does.

Oh and i found out what the missing 2 diodes were. They were interchangeable in models. They were either 2 diodes as i said, or a copper cap rectifier (as can be seen on many t's, its the random tower lookin thing behind one of the transformers). Now just to figure out the rating...

i really can't see the creation of an exact clone anywhere near in the future...