Author Topic: Sunn Model T Wiring Diagram  (Read 18715 times)

Offline deathfaces

Re: Sunn Model T Wiring Diagram
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 06:56:53 am »
thats the way i'm starting to feel about it too, but i bet there's a way to come close without too much compromise.  i'm betting if most of these components existed once, they still exist somewhere out there.

what about one of those hammond units, and simply sacrifice the 2 ohm option?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:11:39 am by deathfaces »

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 11:14:37 am »
hammonds dont get up to 120 watts, But i'm sure they would work.

i'm thinking of going the route of modding a weber kit. the Model t is afterall just high powered and modified fender bassman/marshall plexi. I was thinking of the weber 6s100 so i could get big transformers meant for a pair of kt88/6550's, and modding the hell ouf ot it... im confused about what to do to the power section though.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 05:51:17 pm »
The Hammond 1650T is rated at 120 watts and has no problem putting out 150 watts with 550V B+. Some people claim they can get 200 watts with a higher B+. The 1650T has the ultra linear taps for the screen grids. Only problem is 16 ohms is kind of a pain so most people just go with 4 and 8 ohm output taps.

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 08:24:27 pm »
that sounds like an attractive possibility

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 03:52:55 pm »
wow i should have done deeper research  :roll:
every time i've looked at hammond i've only found 50-100 watt solutions.

question, whats wrong with the 16ohm tap?

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 05:43:50 pm »
i dont know enough about the particular transformer to know what to look for, but i found these guys while looking for a place to get components in minneapolis.  looks like they'll custom jobs.  might be worth getting an estimate.

http://www.inductorsupply.com/custom_orders.html

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 07:50:39 pm »
The problem with 16 ohms is you have to connect two windings in series but for 4 ohms you connect them in parallel. This is possible if you can find a high current 3 pole 3 position switch rated at 6 amps. Look at the following link down near the bottom, but not the very bottom.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1608.htm

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 08:50:05 pm »
any progress on the diagram?

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 11:20:45 am »
i'm working from the schematics so its not going to be exactly like a model t. Its looking like its guna end up in turret board style. I was guna do it last night, but instead i played crysis until 6am. Bad choice hahaha.

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 12:33:41 am »
word.  these things happen.  just eager to take a look at it to see if its worth the trouble of trying to build a clone, because who the fuck can really afford one of these things these days.

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 12:51:06 pm »
oh it woudl be easy to build a clone. Its nearly identical to a fender bassman -- theres an input change, some resistor and cap changes, and the tone stack has one extra wire. The big differences are that it has a higher power handling and ultralinear output transformer.
Honestly, print out a bassman schematic and a model t schematic and lay them out next to eachother.

The only hard parts to figure out are the chokes, the rectifiers, and the output transformer... and cosmetically finding an approopriately sized and vented chassis; and a headcase.

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 12:44:36 am »
the chassis and case i can build.  no worries there.  would you post all you know about the output transformer?  if it's enough information, i'll put in for an estimate with these guys who do custom jobs.

http://www.inductorsupply.com/custom_orders.html

i'm interested in your diagram because, truth be told, as well as a musician and amp enthusiast i'm an artist, and i'm getting my graduate degree.  i just finished building a guitar that is travis bean-esque and would like to build a functional clone of a model t as my next project.  once it's all laid out infront of me i'd evaluate the worth of continuing and i make an progress i'd be happy to share.  but schematics arent my forte, and my electronics knowledge isnt indepth enough to go straight from the schem.  know what i mean?

turret board isnt my favorite idea, but as long as the thing works, then screw it, right?

i also found these http://www.rpm.fi/rpm/21-1-Welter-audiotransformers-en.htm nothing with a 2ohm tap, though, which i doubt we'll find outside the custom job.  thoughts?

Offline the_bleeding

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 01:22:27 am »
the OT... all i know about it is people argue back and forth whether its 120watts or 150 watts rms; and that it has ultralinear taps.
So what i'd do if i were you is choose the RMS wattage you want, and ask for an output transformer designed with horizontal mounts (or whatever) with ultralinear taps, and 16,8,4,and 2 ohm taps. Not sure what else they'd need to know.

Offline justinmilwaukee

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 06:41:21 am »
weber makes some pretty incredible equipment. they are out of kokomo, indiana... i do tour support/merch/etc. for the hardcore band In The Face Of War, and three of the dudes in the band work there. their one guitar player plays only weber amps and speakers. he has a orange hybrid, a hiwatt, a sunn 100s, a marshall plexi and one other head that i cant remember. he is one of the builders there and made all of the amps himself. great dudes, great company.