Author Topic: What do YOU think???  (Read 23861 times)

Offline Happy Face

Re: What do YOU think???
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:43 pm »
Jerry, i wonder just how close the sound would really have to be?

The Orange purists reject the AD200 MK3 for having a totally different sound than the earlier models, but it sells pretty well for an expensive amp. I use a new one and think it sounds great. In fact, I have no clue what a "real" Orange bass head should sound like and really don't care.

In the case of Sunns, there certainly are many more recordings and live sound you could compare a reissue to. But, my own experience with Sunns was that the bass (and strings) I used, the cab and even the venue were equally as important in producing the tone on a given night. For what that's worth.

That's not to say that you and a good number of others would not notice a difference with different trannies. That's one reason why there is a replacement tranny business out there.

But I wonder if it would be enough of a difference to most of us tone-deaf dolts to doom the project?    
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:12:28 pm by Happy Face »

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 04:22:28 am »
I rather doubt it. Id Fender couldnt make a go of it with the Sunn Badge reissues model T's, than what makes you think you could? I mean, sure, you could sell some, most likelty here on this forum and ebay and through word of mouth.

shure, you are right, you could sell it like a "boutique amp". Ed is right, there is a huge market for boutique amps in europe, esp. made in UK /USA. I'm not an expert but in this very moment the Polish amp ampmanufactures get on the german market, high quality, good prices. On the other hand www.thommann.de is selling some USA made amps exclusive in their store.
My first thought about the production line was something I work with: I designed a special control for a air cleaning system. Though I do not produce them, this does an electrician for me on demand. He is always heaving  gabs in his dayly job where he does assemble them. He adds something like 25% on the parts and sells the control - I put on the software and do the fine tuning.  Good deal for everybody, it's nice extra money. My first idea was to do this with the amps aswell, working with "spare" time.
By the way, I do not think I can sell hundrets of amps here. This project should be a combi of "waking up" this great amp design and get some spare money with one thing I really do enjoy.

Greetings

Oli
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:31:51 am by Oli »
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 01:03:54 pm »
What kind of speakers would be used in the new amps? Would they be a JBL clone or a similar speaker of similar output? Part of Sunn's sound quality, clarity, and volume can be directly contributed to Conrad's use of JBL speakers. Back in the day the JBL 's were far and above any other speaker in efficiency and sound quality.  The efficiency of the speaker made the 40 and 60 watt Sunns sound like they had much more power.  According to Fender ads, Eminence manufactures some sort of a D130 clone for their "65 Twin Reverb Custom 15" amp.  There is a picture of the amp - front and back - on their website under their Vintage amps. The speaker magnet is ceramic and kind of looks like a JBL "E" series. Check out the web site.  Perhaps a similar speaker could be contracted for the Sunn project.

I’ve got some ideas, IMO a 115 would be the obvious choice for an initial speaker offering, and I recently had an opportunity to work on a “no compromise” 115 project using someone else’s R&D money, so I’ve got a “leg up” so to speak.
I’ve had conversations with some big league speaker builders over the years regarding the D and K series JBL drivers. My all time favorite bass guitar speaker is the K140, but the idea of cloning one is probably unrealistic. The truth of the matter is that if there were truly a market for the old AlNiCo JBL’s, they would probably still be in production, or somebody would have already cloned them. It’s not like its rocket science or black magic, Eminence or WGS could build a K140 at will.
But… they don’t. If they thought they could make money by developing them, odds are it would already have been done.
But, as I’ve posted repeatedly this is a theoretical discussion, and getting the pulse on the market (starting with Sunn-o-philes) regarding the amp probably needs to take precedence over speakers.

All in all, I believe that a Sunn clone, true to the original ( as much as possible - or even with some added features ) hand wired, would be a worthwhile project...even if it does turn out to be a limited production amp.

I agree. I am sure that there will be at least one built.  :wink:

Well, I am not a Sunn fanatic, enthusiast more likely and a bass player. IMO 60-80 watts is not enough to gig with. And for what it would cost to build one a person could most likely buy a real 200s and have it retubed and re-capped.

With modern sound reinforcement technology, you can play an arena with a 30 watt Ampeg B15N if you want to. There are many bassists that use only Sansamp or similar DI devices in a live setting and their output is measured in milliwatts.
I’ve retubed and recapped several 200S’s, and it actually costs less to refurbish a vintage one than it costs to build one from scratch. However, as far as I know the 200S has been out of production for close to 40 years, so there are no new ones available and product support is nonexistent.

Fender got it right when they produced the 300t. It is an excellent example of a modern all-tube bass amplifier. I really don't think bassists give a hoot if an amp is point to point wired or circuit board. It's performance that matters.

Well, I’m a bassist and I care! I think hand wired amps are much more user friendly when it comes to repairs and maintenance, and while I don’t have a real problem with PCB’s, the ones in production amps are generally flimsy compared to a robust eyelet/turret board/point to point hand wired amp.
Actually there are a lot of people who are less interested in a “disposable” PCB amp than in an old school “boat anchor”, but considerably more people who will buy a cheap price point over buying quality.
The well respected Orange AD200 (which I personally think sounds great) actually mounts tube sockets and input/output jacks to PCB’s. Sure, it’s quicker and cheaper to produce, but how many load in and load outs will that type of construction survive? 5 years, 10 years? Who knows, conceivably forever; but I wouldn’t feel overly confident touring one without factory “hand holding” and a backup real close by.
So… like I’ve insinuated earlier, the issues with the idea that this thread is based on largely are much more perception and marketing based than actually product performance based.
Thanks for your input, and I know that a lot of people are in the same “camp” as you are and it’s one of the biggest challenges to this “concept”

I have a 200S and wouldn't consider using it at even the smallest gig. I love the 300t through it's 215, but that head is just so darn heavy it's a pain to transport. The 215 is big but not terribly heavy and easy to tip into the back of the van.
What would appear to me as a bassist would be at least a 200 watt head that weighs less than 50 pounds and has the Sunn tone and vibe.

I gig with a 200S rig regularly in an R&B band without PA support in a 150 person venue. Sounds great IMO, and I’m pretty critical about my sound. Of course, as Rob mentions, the D140 loaded 200S cab has a lot to do with that.

That’s a tough spec to fill. IMO the only way that would be possible would be using a switching power supply instead of a power transformer. A lot of purists seem to feel that the PT has influence over the tone of an amp, I’m not one of them.
But… as I keep harping on, IMO the true challenge is defining the market rather than designing an amp.

What you suggested is basically the 2000S, which was around 120-150 watts RMS. Thats enough power to keep up with a 40 watt tube amp that a guitarist is playing, but to keep up with more than that and still be clean, you need bigger power, or mic through the PA, which changes the sound and feel on stage, which affects the player. There is a reason amps like the Ampeg SVT (300 watts RMS) are still so coveted, and expensive. You could make something along the lines of the Sunns that would be similar, but it would be very expensive and heavy!

greg
Greg,

From what I read, EdBass would like to keep the amp head at 24" wide - as were the early Conrad designs.  The 1000S, 1200S, etc. had 4 KT88/6550's but were all 30" wide amps.  The original Coliseum PA head was 24" wide and had 4 KT88's.

Rob

Yeah I was just saying that the 4 x KT88 thing with a preamp similar to a 200S has already been done...ala the Sunn 2000S. Incidentally, the 2000S had LOTS of room inside the chassis and it could be made less wide with some layout changes and could work just fine on a smaller chassis providing good layout rules were used.

Greg

While I agree that a 4 X KT88 amp would have a much broader appeal overall, there are specific reasons why I based this exercise on a 2 X KT88 configuration.
Most influential is Ashdown and Ampeg’s decision to produce high dollar, low wattage bass amps. I’m small potatoes, but  those boys are big league, and if their high dollar market research determined that the market was there, who am I to argue?
This isn’t to say it’s a lead pipe cinch, but it certainly adds some credence to the idea!
Also, the availability of crucial components at a reasonable price point with virtually no R&D; i.e. the Triode iron and shared technology with the ever popular Dynaco amps factors in strongly.
Whatever it may end up being (provided of course it should end up “being” at all…), I think the 24” wide chassis is a given from a practicality standpoint.

...by the way: the DIY SUNN amps seem to get more and more interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Dynaco-MKIII-Mk3-Transformer-Bundle-DIY-Tube-Amp-Sunn_W0QQitemZ380192858784QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item588542a2a0

See above. And like the 24” spec…. NO FREEKIN’ FANS!

I rather doubt it. Id Fender couldnt make a go of it with the Sunn Badge reissues model T's, than what makes you think you could? I mean, sure, you could sell some, most likelty here on this forum and ebay and through word of mouth.

It’s all relative; within a 12 mo. window, if you were to drop $50K on NAMM, and another $250K or so on internet and print, I believe you could sell just about anything to anybody.
FMIC has done an absolutely phenomenal job with the majority of their products in the last 20 years IMO, but re-issuing Sunn wasn’t one of them. I have no inside knowledge, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Sunn badge gets reborn, probably on a low level line of SS bass amps. Just a guess, we’ll see what happens…

In the end, I don;t think it would get the real deal tone, simply cause the magic is in those old Dynaco hand wound X-formers. Of course, that never stopped Fender from reissueing their old Tweeds and Blakfaces.
Heyboars and Mercury Magnetics come close, ut at the end of the day its all about the old irion, and this is especially true with Sunn.

It can and has been argued to death in many expert discussions, and I’m a believer in “mojo” also, but I’ve been to enough rodeos in the last 40 years to realize that metal is metal. I really can’t tell the difference between a Triode PT and a Dynaco in my 200S’s with my ears.
Heyboer can pretty much knock off anything, and I have far less experience with Mercury but I’m sure they are the same. It’s pretty much about how much you want to spend on R&D.
Now, I can’t say the same for vacuum tubes…

The Orange purists reject the AD200 MK3 for having a totally different sound than the earlier models, but it sells pretty well for an expensive amp. I use a new one and think it sounds great. In fact, I have no clue what a "real" Orange bass head should sound like and really don't care.

Well, my previous comments on the Orange certainly don’t mean that it isn’t a real nice amp. Sound wise I personally think it holds its own with a vintage Orange, and would buy one for my personal use without hesitation if a “deal” popped up. My comments about the construction are accurate though, and do reflect opinions I’ve heard from “boutique” aficionados.
However one of the main contributing factors to the “expensive” part is the fact that it’s imported from the UK (largely exchange rate, they need to maintain a stable US price point whether the Pound is at $2.95 or $1.90). A great example is the Hiwatt amps, a UK CP103 has a MSRP of $4949 and a street price of around $3400, while a US built Reeves CP103 is $2000. I’m not at liberty elaborate on how “identical” the amps are, but suffice to say the biggest difference in price is where they are built, and the fact that Reeves is factory direct.

In the case of Sunns, there certainly are many more recordings and live sound you could compare a reissue to. But, my own experience with Sunns was that the bass (and strings) I used, the cab and even the venue were equally as important in producing the tone on a given night. For what that's worth.

I agree 100%; there are many factors that go into a rigs sound beyond the amp itself. Many moons ago a very sage FOH engineer stopped me during one of my long winded dissertations about sound reinforcement (yeah, I’ve always rambled on, this isn’t just a recent habit of mine  :roll:) and corrected my use of the term “enclosure” when referring to a PA cab at a large venue I was working as a roadie. He said “look around kid, everything between the driver and an infinite baffle is the enclosure, not just that box you’re pointing to. Now get back to doing what you’re being paid to do”.
I got all tweaked off at him, but I never forgot the lesson.

Thanks again for all the input, everyone. Again, I can’t say what this will come to if anything, but it’s a great exercise regardless!

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 02:33:24 am »
Hey Ed,

If you don't have them or haven't read them, you should take a look at Kevin O' Connor's series of books. He mentions in one of them (escapes me which one at the moment) some things about switching power supplies and the problems with using them in tube amps. Might be helpful to you to check it out. I can let you know which book it is in if you give me a couple days to look it up.

Also, I hear what you're saying about the influence of the power supply on the sound of an amp, and I would say that while it has less influence over the tone than does the output transformer, it is still a very important attribute to the overall sound. I would say though that it is most noticeable when comparing any adequately designed power supply as compared to one that is not adequately designed. For example, many Silvertone amps have undersized power supplies and caps and you can hear that in the sound, especially when trying bass through one. Most of the Sunn stuff had great power transformers, but the filtering could stand to be upgraded for a bass. HiWatts sound fantastic for bass, partly because they had a very good power supply design with fantastic transformers. I'm with you on Heyboer though...they can do just about anything and make great stuff. I'm using their OT and choke in a current clone of a Vox AC100. I should be able to use it for guitar or bass, which is cool. I should be able to get those mid '64 - late '65 Beatles guitar and bass tones with it once I get it done.....

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:34 am »
Greg, please do let me know in which O'Connor book he addresses the switching power supplys. I'm generally on the same page as you regarding power supplies and bass amps; the more the merrier. However my tube rectified B15N and Sunn 200S's are among my all time tonal favorites, so maybe a little "sag" ain't all bad!  :wink:

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 11:51:54 pm »
Alright Ed, I'll see if I can find which book he talks about it in and where he says it....I should be able to let you know in a day or so.

I agree with the Sunn sounding good with the vintage style filtering......though I think it sounds just as well but better with more filtering on the first two sections for bass anyway.....The real key is that cabinet with the JBL's.....

Anyway I'll let you know what I can find soon.

greg

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 04:15:10 pm »
On a related subject... one thing I've noticed is that the schematic usually seen for the 200S does not match any of the amps I have with regards to the Lo Boost switch. I have a 67 200S, 69 Sorado and a 72 190B. All are wired like the 2000S schematic usually seen. I have modified a scan of the 190B schematic which has a different Hi Boost switch than the older amps. One final thing I noticed on the 190B schematic is the seemingly missing components from the junction of R10 and C6 to ground. This is a significant deviation from the typical Fender type tone control network. I verified that the 190B is actually wired like the schematic. The 190B also has a solid state high voltage supply that uses a pair of 600V 20uF caps.

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 04:36:15 am »
NO FREEKIN’ FANS!

Ohh, I thought this is what this page is all about.... :wink:

Anyway, a big thanks to Ed for the start of this great tropic.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:56:05 am by Oli »
SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline HRobert

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 05:30:57 am »
 "QUOTE"  I’ve had conversations with some big league speaker builders over the years regarding the D and K series JBL drivers. My all time favorite bass guitar speaker is the K140, but the idea of cloning one is probably unrealistic. The truth of the matter is that if there were truly a market for the old AlNiCo JBL’s, they would probably still be in production, or somebody would have already cloned them.

[color=black] EdBass,  Back in the late 70's or early 80's I remember reading that JBL developed the "E" series speakers with the Ceremic magnets because the price of AlNiCo was getting too expensive and the selling price of the speaker was getting prohibitive.  Perhaps that is still the case today.

Rob
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:07:00 pm by HRobert »

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 02:05:08 am »
There are all kinds of alnico speakers made these days, and sure they are more expensive due to the mojo and the price of cobalt which is a strategic material and is not abundant except in South Africa and Russia, and also happens to be a key ingredient in alnico 5 that speaker magnets are made from, but JBL could make speakers like the old D and K series if they wanted na dpeople would buy them. The bulk of speaker purchases come from car and home audio and PA's and the market for musical instrument speakers isn't big enough for JBL to bother doing anything about it. Ted Weber loved the old JBL D series and made some very good neo magnet versions that his company sells, but I haven't tried one yet. Thats about it thats out there for JBL D series unless you want to buy old ones.

Greg

P.S. Ed, I'm still looking for that info for you in between looking for work, fixing an Epiphone LP and fixing a noisy Magnatone 260. Didn't want you to think I forgot. :)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 10:57:06 am »
Yet another "too small to be practical" bass amp from a well established boutique builder.
http://www.spheresound.com/productDetail.cfm?ProductID=219
This one is a nearly a direct B15 knockoff. I wonder how the 6SN7 preamp would sound with a 2 X KT88 output stage?

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 07:45:35 pm »
From everything I read,t he 6SN7 is a fantastic sounding tube...similar gain levels to a 12AU7 but MUCH better sounding. So I figure the 12Au7 already sounds quite nice, the 6SN7 must really be nice. I would think as long as it could provide the current those KT88's would like to see, it should work fine.

Ed, I'm still looking for the switching power supplies thing in the KOC books. I know I've seen it somewhere but will have to sit down and leaf through them until I find it. I have to look in them anyway for some channel switching options so maybe I'll find it soon.

Greg

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 04:30:00 am »
Hey Ed,

I know I've seen the info about switching power supplies in the KOC books but haven't found it yet in TUT1, TUT2, TUT3, or Principles of Power. The TUT4,TUT5, and TUT6 deal with power scaling so it could very well be in them, but those are bigger to read through so it may be a bit still.

What I remember from reading it years ago was that there are reasons for not doing it in tube amps.....but I glossed over it at the time so I don't remember why.

greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 07:28:27 am »
Hey Ed,

I know I've seen the info about switching power supplies in the KOC books but haven't found it yet in TUT1, TUT2, TUT3, or Principles of Power. The TUT4,TUT5, and TUT6 deal with power scaling so it could very well be in them, but those are bigger to read through so it may be a bit still.

What I remember from reading it years ago was that there are reasons for not doing it in tube amps.....but I glossed over it at the time so I don't remember why.

greg

It just occurred to me that Kevin O'Connor is London Power, right? I'll ask the Reeves guys, they license their power scaling from them (him?), and could probably shed some light on the issue for me. Interestingly enough, a few years ago while grunting away schlepping a C225 into the Reeves shop, I told their head tech that he should build the big amps with switching power supplies. He said it that off the top of his head he thought could be done, but the purists would claim that it affected the tone, and probably balk at the lack of conventional  power transformers.

Of course, that didn't stop Peavey. Their Pro VB-3 300 eight EL34, four 12AX7 and one 12AT7 bass amp uses a switching PS.
300 tube watts; 37 freekin' lbs, amazing. Those Peavey guys have got it goin' on, and have been doing a phenomenal job for decades IMO.