Author Topic: My Sunn Beta Lead 4x10 Combo Repair and Restoration Project  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Grateful.Ed

My Sunn Beta Lead 4x10 Combo Repair and Restoration Project
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:45:25 pm »
This is a long lost friend. 

Bought it used in mid-80's for about $100 IIRC.  Used it at a friend’s for jamming for a while and left it there for about 20 years.  They opened a guitar shop down the road from me about a year ago and I reunited with all.  It’s been used periodically by my friends and his band over the years.

Both channels seem to work and the blend channel seems to work as well.  It sounds pretty good but I didn’t push it. 

I’m viewing this as a three step project.  Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Strip and refinish wood head cabinet. 

This came with the amp and I’m not sure if it’s a Sunn product or a custom job.  Anyone ever see one of these?

-Clean Cab Tolex, repair/re-glue loose areas, and dress tolex with a finishing product. 

For the cabinet cleaning, it sounds like 50% Murphy’s Oil Soap/50% water is used a lot with good results. 

There is a small white paint mark here.  Not sure how I’ll handle yet.

For the Tolex repair, is there a recommended contact cement?

For the dressing/finishing it looks like Meguiar’s Natural Shine rubber/vinyl protectant and Aerospace 303 Protectant don’t leave a slick feel to tolex.

-Clean Head and repair/replace broken pot. 

The pot still works; it’s obviously difficult to adjust.  There is a small smudge of white paint here too.

When I open the head, I have a can of AGS Electro Contact Cleaner for cleaning and lubricating the pots and compressed air for cleaning and getting any dust/grime out.  I’m under the impression that electronics cleaners without silicone are preferred and this seems to be silicone-free.

Should I use this approach for the pots?

First Compressed air
Then Electronics cleaner
Finally Compressed air

I’m presuming the first air will get any loose material out, then the cleaner will clean/lube pots, and the final air will leave no residue.

Since this amp has been played a bit over the years, what types of electronics issues should I expect?  Some threads I’ve read on vintage amps refer to certain components deteriorating over time from use and other components deteriorating from lack of use.

Finding a pot and knob may take a while if ever.  Since the two channels are identical, there is no tone compromise for single channel tone on channel B versus A, and I still can blend.  Am I correct?

I appreciate any input.   I hope to post a pretty picture when I’m done.

Bagger Frank

Re: My Sunn Beta Lead 4x10 Combo Repair and Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »
Whats the latest news on this restoration ? Here is mine.  :-D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:55:25 pm by Bagger Frank »

Offline doomedfuzz

Re: My Sunn Beta Lead 4x10 Combo Repair and Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:24:17 pm »
I have a chance to buy one of these 4x10s (haven't played it yet) and am seriously considering doing so. I already have a 2x12 and love it. Can you guys give me some idea on volume (is it nuts like the 2x12), how is the tone, is it brighter with the 4x10s, more focused, and of course I love them for the distortion, is it still big, ugly and nasty (in a good way)... Any insight appreciated...