Author Topic: MODEL T's 1st gen vs 2nd gen  (Read 40596 times)

Offline clodo

Re: MODEL T's 1st gen vs 2nd gen
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 01:03:54 am »
Yes, if you any information to modified the 2 to the first, i'm interesting.

Thanks Isaac

Offline clodo

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 03:32:37 am »
With the changes, is what really happens to have a 2nd generation as a 1? the same sound?

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 06:06:26 am »
Hi Clodo,

I don't think you'll get exactly the same tone with the mods, but it will certainly be closer, and even an un-modded 2nd Generation Model T is an excellent amp.

Some folks prefer the 2nd Gen sound, so I wouldn't be in a rush to modify the amp.

Someone already posted this link, but if you missed it: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/sunnmodelt/

This is THE resource for 2nd Gen mods.

Cheers,
James

Offline clodo

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 07:11:37 am »
Hello James

I read the blog, thank you for the connection. In the blog he says gen1 sounds better ;-). I will Retube and repair mine (a 2 nd generation with the logo button and white) and listen as it sounds.

I live in Switzerland and these amps are rare or even nonexistent.

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 07:39:41 am »
I think many guitarists DO prefer the First Generation Model T. If I had a 2nd Gen, at the very least, I'd go ahead with the Master Volume modification.

Bassists may prefer the 2nd Gen because of the Mid-control and the Ampeg similarities. If you're solely or primarily a guitarist, then I'd certainly consider some of the mods suggested by JoeArthur.

Plenty of people are content with an un-modded 2nd Gen, but, for what it's worth, I haven't known anyone who has regretted making the mods.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 08:18:29 am »
With the changes, is what really happens to have a 2nd generation as a 1? the same sound?

I can't say. I've never had nor played through a 1st gen Model T.
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 08:21:16 am »
As a bass player, I was never happy with the 2nd gen T. The mid boost gave it a honky sound, even turned all the way down. So I did the master volume mod and the mid boost mod, and now I love it. Truly a great amp.
Isaac

Offline clodo

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 09:21:49 am »
I'm a guitarist, maybe I should try to find a first generation? I'll have to repair mine. Thank you for your help

Offline clodo

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 06:21:15 am »
Isaac, can you explain the changes you made on your amp,

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »
Keep in mind, you won't have the exact same sound. The mid boost switch will still be on unless mids are rolled to Zero (with the mod), and after all, they use two (2) different tone stacks
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 02:15:40 pm »
Isaac, can you explain the changes you made on your amp,

Not easily. I cut the white wire with the blue stripe, and I connected the 47mfd capacitor to make the mid boost zero when the control is fully counter-clockwise. I realize that, by themselves, those two statements don't make much sense. The link to the instructions I used have been posted twice already, but here it is again: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/sunnmodelt/ The problem is that the illustrations seem to be gone, making the detailed instructions difficult to decipher. I don't know that I can help you beyond that. I could if I were wherever you are, but if that's not here in Portland, we're out of luck.
Isaac

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 06:34:15 pm »
this doesn't mean anything to anybody but me-i have a lot of Models Ts from the 70s and i play the sludge louder than anybody-i use 1st & 2nd generation amps interchangebly because they both reach an incredible db level and as the db level goes up the hz level goes further down and only these  old SUNNS do the job for me.
your mileage will not vary
stan in san fran
http://stanosaur.com/
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »
Although I like what Stanner does, and he has a REALLY impressive rig, I wouldn't say that "your mileage won't vary" between the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen. Tonally, they are noticeably different. It's totally a matter of taste which you may prefer. I like both for different reasons. Though, if your goal is a massive wall of sludge like what SunnO))) and Stanner create, I think both 1st Gen and 2nd Gen will get the job done with negligible differences.

Really, playing both amps is the only way to know which one best suits your needs. If any of you are within driving distance of Baltimore, MD, you're certainly welcome to come by and give both of them a test drive and decide for yourselves.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 06:04:10 pm »
I need a damn first Gen to keep my second Gen company. How do you run two of these together like Greg Anderson usually does?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/81/260854863_d229f5dec2.jpg
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs