Author Topic: Who made Sunn speakers?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline J.

Who made Sunn speakers?
« on: September 08, 1999, 07:13:00 am »
Which manufacturer made the distinctive Sunn speakers through the seventies?  I don't remember seeing any other ported aluminum dust cap covered  AlNiCo speakers.
My question really is aimed at the 10" and 12" varieties.

Offline Tom Loizeaux

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 1999, 04:21:00 pm »
Sunn used speakers from JBL in the early days. Later, the majority of their speakers came from Eminence. The speakers you are refering to are probably "Sunn Transducers" from Eminence. The also offered a heavy duty version they called Sunn Magna...also from Eminence.

Offline Conrad Sundholm

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 1999, 11:30:00 pm »
Sunn used two different suppliers for its 10" and 12" models in the 70's.  They were Eminence and Osford.  The aluminum domes with the vent in the middle were made by Eminence.  Eminence was a young company then and we had some quality problems with them.  We sent our quality assurance manager back to their plant and he discoverd they were grinding steel parts near their magnet/voice coil assembly area and metal shavings were getting into the voice coil gap and creating noises and shorts.  The problem was quickly resolved and they were a quality supplier at a very reasonable price.

Conrad Sundholm

: Which manufacturer made the distinctive Sunn speakers through the seventies?  I don't remember seeing any other ported aluminum dust cap covered  AlNiCo speakers.
: My question really is aimed at the 10" and 12" varieties.

Offline Conrad Sundholm

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 1999, 12:25:00 am »
The Sunn Magna speakers were manufactured by Sunn.  After we sold the company to Hartzel Industries, they set up their own manufacturing facility tomake the magna series of load speakers.

Conrad

: Sunn used speakers from JBL in the early days. Later, the majority of their speakers came from Eminence. The speakers you are refering to are probably "Sunn Transducers" from Eminence. The also offered a heavy duty version they called Sunn Magna...also from Eminence.

Offline J.

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 1999, 07:16:00 am »
: Which manufacturer made the distinctive Sunn speakers through the seventies?  I don't remember seeing any other ported aluminum dust cap covered  AlNiCo speakers.

Mr. Sundholm,  It is just too cool to get responses from you.  It's almost embarassing in a weird sort of way.  Throughout the seventies (when I struggled through  my "Wonder Bread" years) Sunn equipment was BOSS!  Man, your equipment was part of the centerpiece of my musical world.  We had Sunn Concert Leads, Model T Bass Heads with folded horn cabinets,  Sunn P.A. systems.  This is just too awesome, somehow.

Thanks for being a part of this forum.

Jim

Offline Don T.

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 1999, 02:58:00 am »

Hello, I recall seeing those 12's with the vented dust cap and alnico magnets. I believe they were eminence but I could find out. I still have the purchasing records from that era and my best freind worked at Sunn for 20 years. During my stay at Sunn we made all of our own speakers at the Tualatin plant. The cabinets were made in Williamstown Kentucky (plywood w/carpet) and then later at D&D Bennets in Troutdale OR. (particle board with black vinyl laminate).

Don Thompson

Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Tyler

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2000, 12:12:00 pm »
Can anyone tell me where to find info on the 400 watt Concert Bass amp
And...
The Model 215 BH 2x15 speaker enclosure.

Thanx, Tyler

Offline Randy H.

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2001, 09:36:00 pm »
[Mr. Sundholm - I have a 2x15 cab with the speakers a little left of center, and the horns right of center.  The rear tag says the speakers are 215M.  Any idea what type of speakers/cab these are?  How do they rank with the other Sunn cab speakers used over the years such as JBL, Eminance...?  I plan to use this cab with a Sunn 200s head (looks 67-69, no trademark logo).  Also, is it best to use the head's 4 ohlm or 8 ohlm speaker output?  The cab says 4 ohlms.  Any help would be truly appreciated.]
On 1999-09-12 23:25, Conrad Sundholm wrote:
The Sunn Magna speakers were manufactured by Sunn.  After we sold the company to Hartzel Industries, they set up their own manufacturing facility tomake the magna series of load speakers.

Conrad

: Sunn used speakers from JBL in the early days. Later, the majority of their speakers came from Eminence. The speakers you are refering to are probably "Sunn Transducers" from Eminence. The also offered a heavy duty version they called Sunn Magna...also from Eminence.

[/quote]

Offline Sanford

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2001, 11:34:00 am »
Does anyone know the watts on the Eminence speakers with the vented dustcap?

Sanford

Offline mc2

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2002, 11:13:00 am »
On a related note...

I bought some original SUNN 12-inch transducers (from Bill on here) to match my blown ones in my 612S cab. The speakers were only ONE MONTH apart in date from the numbers (in 1973) BUT....my labels on the back were the SUNN orange & black ones and his were the SUNN black & white ones.
 Wierd.
 Anyone know if I just happened to hit the changeover month in label style...or did Emenence label some and then SUNN label some itself using a different label?
 Outside of the labels, the speakers are dead identical.

Anonymous

Who made Sunn speakers?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 05:01:58 pm »
Quote from: Randy H.
[Mr. Sundholm - I have a 2x15 cab with the speakers a little left of center, and the horns right of center.  The rear tag says the speakers are 215M.  Any idea what type of speakers/cab these are?  How do they rank with the other Sunn cab speakers used over the years such as JBL, Eminance...?  I plan to use this cab with a Sunn 200s head (looks 67-69, no trademark logo).  Also, is it best to use the head's 4 ohlm or 8 ohlm speaker output?  The cab says 4 ohlms.  Any help would be truly appreciated.]
On 1999-09-12 23:25, Conrad Sundholm wrote:
The Sunn Magna speakers were manufactured by Sunn.  After we sold the company to Hartzel Industries, they set up their own manufacturing facility tomake the magna series of load speakers.<p>Conrad<p>: Sunn used speakers from JBL in the early days. Later, the majority of their speakers came from Eminence. The speakers you are refering to are probably "Sunn Transducers" from Eminence. The also offered a heavy duty version they called Sunn Magna...also from Eminence.<p>
[/quote]