Author Topic: Sunn Model T Alternative  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Orion

Sunn Model T Alternative
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:47:17 am »
Can anyone recommend a 1960-70's Sunn amplifier that makes for a good alternative to the Model T? I do not know much about the backline during this era, but have listened to a Spectre that has a similar Model T growl. Thoughts?
1x Model T Reissue
1x Model T Second Generation
1x Model T First Generation
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 Feng Speakers
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 Original Sunn Alnico Speakers
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 (Vertical / Staggered) Original Sunn Ceramic Speakers

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Model T Alternative
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 09:09:57 am »
My first thought is that, as far as I know, Sunn never made an amp called the Spectre. I'm guessing that you mean the Sceptre.

I've used a Sceptre and a Sentura II many times, for both guitar and bass. They're really nice little amps. Not the same as the Model T.

My Model T is a second generation (2G) model. I didn't like the sound all that much until I did a couple of mods to it.

The Model T has four 6550 power tubes, and is rated at 150 watts. The Sceptre has two 6550 power tubes and is rated at 60 watts. That sounds like a big difference in power, but it's only 4dB. You could even pull two of the T's tubes to make the power output almost identical. (Note: this affects the output impedance of the amp. I don't recommend doing it if you don't know what you're doing.)

The Sceptre, Senturas and their ilk have reverb and tremolo; the Model T does not. There are other differences in the preamp circuitry that make the T sound different from the Sceptre and its clones. So, they're not going to sound the same. I don't know what kind of sound(s) you're looking for, but I'd think that you could make the smaller amps work. They might even be better.
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 05:40:12 pm »
Are you using the amp for guitar, bass or low tuned guitar ? Most other Sunn amps from the 60's and 70's don't have the gain of a Model T, so you will need to use a pedal if you need a lot of overdrive.

Offline Orion

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 07:48:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I just purchased a scepter and know nothing about it really.. I own a second gen model T and a reissue T. I?m using each amplifier for a guitar.. Just on a quest to know more about the model t and it?s affiliates. Looking for that Model T growl that can?t really be found anywhere else other than the Sunn back line. Thanks for the info. If you have any links / references to share, would like to read. Thanks
1x Model T Reissue
1x Model T Second Generation
1x Model T First Generation
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 Feng Speakers
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 Original Sunn Alnico Speakers
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 (Vertical / Staggered) Original Sunn Ceramic Speakers