Author Topic: I know I'm doing something wrong with my concert head  (Read 1581 times)

Offline thedecayofnature

I know I'm doing something wrong with my concert head
« on: August 26, 2021, 04:20:44 pm »
I have a 200w concert bass head. Run it through a Sunn 610L.

Am I doing this wrong? I love the sound! It's awesome, but I wish the 610L was on a 300T!! Owner of the 610 used one. But wouldn't sell it.

Can I hook up a second cab? Or probably not?

What I'm wanting to do is have two cabs run in tandem with the concert head and then set up mics running into to other heads and cab. Just get weird.

But I'd like to imagine my dream is possible. Just have no idea and it's been a process having to take a lot of critism for my idea. Or have been shit on by people misic shops when I ask what can I do.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: I know I'm doing something wrong with my concert head
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 07:14:56 am »
As long as you don't let the total impedance drop below 4 ohms you can add as many cabs as you want.
Your idea about mic'ing your rig and sending it to other amps and cabs isn't new, its what sound reinforcement systems have done for the better part of a century.
Almost every touring band in the world mic's (or DI's) their rigs into bigger amps and cabs every time they gig, not sure why you are getting criticism.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 09:55:23 am »
IIRC, the original 610S was rated at a nominal 6 ohms impedance. Not sure about the 610L.

If the 610L is a 6 ohm cabinet, then two of them would present a 3 ohm load. The Concert heads were rated for 4 ohm minimum, so two of them would be flirting with disaster. Some of the later, blackface Concert amps may have been rated for 2 ohms, but at least one person has done the math and concluded that a 2 ohm rating was optimistic, at best, but it might be okay at 3 ohms.

On the back of your Concert amp, near the speaker output jacks, should be some lettering saying something like "4 Ohm Minimum Load". Look for that, then respect it. Too low impedance is a good way to let the magic smoke out of the transistors.
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 03:01:06 pm »
You can use any Concert Lead or Bass amp as a slave, just run a cable from the "signal out" jack on the back of your main amp to the "signal in" jack on back the one you want to act as a slave. If you want more than one slave, you will have to use some kind of Y cable to hook three or more amps together. They don't all have to be the same, you can use a Concert Lead to be a slave and a Concert Bass to be you main amp. The power amp is the same in both as long as you don't mix 150W Concerts with 200W Concerts.

Note that there is no way to control the relative volume on the "slave" amps, all the controls are disabled.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 08:53:54 am »
Unless you happen to have a Concert Slave, as I do!

That's just a Concert series power amp with an input volume control on the front.
Isaac