Author Topic: SunnO)) the band  (Read 45412 times)

Offline porkusabyssus

Re: SunnO)) the band
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2011, 06:35:59 am »
au contraire-Greg-self proclaimed 'caveman' to O'Malleys 'artist' pushed Stephen into his wall of amps-i got pix. story was-Stephen was playing around on stage-just wasnt into what they were supposed to be playing-so Greg came over and gave a big push. they are both cool guys who can play really well in other genres and just get a lot of heat for the d r o n e stuff most people dont understand.

And i presume that you know them personally since you know all that?
Oh no!!!  Your going to awaken the wrath of the STANOSAUR!
lol!

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 10:05:36 pm »

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2011, 04:46:13 am »
Stan is Sunn O))). He just plays behind the amps and uses Greg and Steve as the front men  :wink:
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline Stonah

« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2011, 06:47:57 am »
Stan is Sunn O))). He just plays behind the amps and uses Greg and Steve as the front men  :wink:

Well after i've seen his website all i know that he is an old man doing exactly the same thing as the guys from sunn  O))... i must confess that i was shocked after i heard what he is doing...no offense man but you sound like sunn cover band and that's so not cool...if you're drone fan well, has it ever crossed your mind that maybe you should sound a bit different, drone is quite wide music!? I'm also a drone fan but i don't play exactly the same notes in my band as the guys from sunn do...and why? cause that's pathetic and lame!

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2011, 10:19:31 am »

Well after i've seen his website all i know that he is an old man doing exactly the same thing as the guys from sunn  O))... i must confess that i was shocked after i heard what he is doing...no offense man but you sound like sunn cover band and that's so not cool...if you're drone fan well, has it ever crossed your mind that maybe you should sound a bit different, drone is quite wide music!? I'm also a drone fan but i don't play exactly the same notes in my band as the guys from sunn do...and why? cause that's pathetic and lame!

Cover bands get paid pretty good.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2011, 01:43:18 am »

Actually Stan does more of a looping/feedback ritual type deal, whereas Sunn O))) is more of free form riffs/music without the constraints of time signatures/measures. Similar in style and aesthetic-yes, but from what I've heard he has his own thing going on, really great guy too. One of the coolest dudes you'll meet

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2011, 10:49:08 am »

Dude, HARSH. Seems like you need a hug or something. Badly.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:40 pm »
Yeah I feel like like a lot of that was pretty unnecessary. But, people are entitled to opinions!

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:17 pm »
thanks guys-i dont mind people ripping on me. rip onn!! i simply lov the sound of old Model T amps a roarin. its a lotta work moving multiple amps and cabs and i only do it to hear THAT sound. not trying to copy anyone-have a big knowledge of the history of D R O N E-i'm not even a blip on the scene-so-not worrying about anything else.
SUNN amps forever
http://stanosaur.com/
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2011, 10:13:55 pm »
Yeah I feel like like a lot of that was pretty unnecessary. But, people are entitled to opinions!
thanks guys-i dont mind people ripping on me. rip onn!! i simply lov the sound of old Model T amps a roarin. its a lotta work moving multiple amps and cabs and i only do it to hear THAT sound. not trying to copy anyone-have a big knowledge of the history of D R O N E-i'm not even a blip on the scene-so-not worrying about anything else.

You shouldn't have to be "ripped on", Stan. What you do is what you do, regardless of if another poster doesn't like it or agree with it is no excuse for being insulting.

Opinions and disagreements are one thing, name calling and personal assaults are another thing altogether. There's no reason that we can't have opposing opinions expressed with civil, hopefully productive discussions without it degenerating into a personal attack.
If for some reason someone can't control themselves, at least take it to PM; no reason to look like an ass in open forum.

Let's just all play nice, alright?

Offline Stonah

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:48 am »
Ok well, didn't wan't to insult a person personally but sorry guys i just can't understand it...  That's it now, i'm done with this topic and i apologize if someone got offended but some things just doesn't seem right you know!

*Edited post*

There, I fixed it for you.
I think everyone understood how you felt about Stan's music from your first rant; is there something you don't understand about the personal assault thing?
EdBass
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:24:36 am by EdBass »

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2011, 09:41:34 am »
Opinions and disagreements are one thing, name calling and personal assaults are another thing altogether. There's no reason that we can't have opposing opinions expressed with civil, hopefully productive discussions without it degenerating into a personal attack.
If for some reason someone can't control themselves, at least take it to PM; no reason to look like an ass in open forum.

Let's just all play nice, alright?
Agreed Ed. I Wasn't condoning the words at all, just trying to keep it civil  8-)

Ok well, didn't wan't to insult a person personally but sorry guys i just can't understand it... That's it now, i'm done with this topic and i apologize if someone got offended but some things just doesn't seem right you know!
There's plenty of dudes who do the whole Druid get up, man. Not to mention the band Ghost, who take it even a step further to have their front man dressed as an "anti-pope" (ha). It's just what he's into, it's kind of like calling any guy who is older that plays blues through a strat, fuzz & wah a Hendrix knock off. Or, for that matter, calling Sunn O))) an Earth rip off, hell, Boris made a whole Sunn O))) inspired album (amplifier worship). Greg and Steve would probably appreciate it as an homage to what their doing if anything.

Nonetheless, I dig what Stan does. It pretty much all falls under a tribute/appreciation to the amps and their creators themselves. Great tone is definitely something to pay tribute to. Keep doin' yer thang, Stan!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:26:31 am by EdBass »

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2011, 12:50:54 pm »
This goes for music in general... at least in my opinion, with how much music is out there today, nothing is really THAT original or THAT ground breaking anymore.  Anything and everything can be compared to something else and in turn called a "rip off".  Maybe you can prove me wrong, but I just felt like I should say that.

Offline John Matrix

• Art Things
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2011, 01:38:51 pm »
http://archradish.blogspot.com

Beta Lead 212, Concert Lead into a 412L, Schecter Tempest Classic