Author Topic: Speaker Selection Help!  (Read 1790 times)

Offline RibletteGuilt

Speaker Selection Help!
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:14 pm »
I just picked up two empty Sunn 215's and am trying to figure out what speakers I should put in them.
I use a Sunn300t. If my Sunn is 300 watts then I would want to find 150watt speakers, correct?
If so, what speakers might work for me? I was thinking about cheaping out and getting some Eminence Legend 1518's.

The music I play sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JqqVLRzUN8

Thank you in advance.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Speaker Selection Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »
Which model Sunn 215's do you have? If you don't know the model a pic will tell the story.

Offline RibletteGuilt

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:32:53 am »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:57:36 am »
I think I see a full width center port; they look like 200S cabs. Hard to tell on my phone. Do the backs come off?
If they are 200S cabs it can limit your options for drivers because the port ducting can make it hard to fit large magnet assemblies. Those cabs only came with AlNiCo magneted JBL D140F's, and larger, wider ceramic magnets are often too big to fit.

Old AlNiCo drivers or new Neodymium drivers are your best bet I think.

Offline RibletteGuilt

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:37:22 am »
They do have the center port and the backs can come off.
I see what you mean now about the ducting, I hadn't even thought of that.

Offline RibletteGuilt

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:53:39 am »
Would it maybe be easier to find speakers that would match up with my Ampeg V4? I know about matching impedance and different random things but I didn't know about under-powering speakers until a friend brought it up recently.
I blew through probably 3-4 300 watt Eminence Legend CB158's with this 300t because I thought I had to match the wattage like that. I guess I just need a little council.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »
You can't really "underpower" speakers. Those CB 158's should have handled your 300T without danger of burning up.
You can physically blow the cones off their suspensions with less than rated watts with transient spikes causing the speakers to move farther than they were designed to move, and if there is an issue with your amp passing DC current it can take out a pair of drivers quickly.

But, those speakers WILL thermally dissipate the 300 watts that your amp is capable of. I would try to figure out what is taking out the Eminences before deciding what to put in your empty cabs.