Author Topic: sunn collisum super model t?  (Read 12516 times)

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: sunn collisum super model t?
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »
Which one is the death cap?

Why should the accessory outlet be disconnected?

If you have to ask, it's to protect guys like you from killing themselves or others. This forum is not the place to ask questions about critical electrical safety issues. Your profile does not even say what country you are in. Your amp needs service. You should take the amp to a qualified service person in your country.

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 04:15:53 pm »
Allright, I updated the profile.

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 03:13:41 am »
Rewired the power transformer for European net yesterday. Tested all the voltages. The transformer is working properly,

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:47 am »
This morning, replaced all burnt parts, in total, 3 resistors and a hum balance potmeter, put a fuseholder with a 4A fuse instead of a 7A circuit breaker, removed the death cap, put a new European power cord and put in the missing 4th tube in the amp. turn on the amplifier and it works and sounds great. Haven't done any measurements though. Will do later and test the amplifier on full power for a long time as well.

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 07:19:12 am »
Does anyone know any mathods for cleaning the amplifier. I would like to clean the metal chassis of the amp and the cabinet (tolex). What stuff would I need. I tried using alcohol to clean the metal chassis but ie doesn;t work.

Thanx in advance,

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 11:28:48 pm »
not sure about the chasis, but on the tolex you could use alcohol, then get some liquid black shoe polish and take it to it. Works like a charm  :wink:
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 04:01:21 am »
Well, after replacing all the burned parts, I found a 4th tube which matched quite ok. Checked the bias, the tubes draw something around 50mA which is a good bias point for 6550 tubes. Adjusted the hum control and the amplifier sounds great. I am happy everything turned out well, however still pretty expensive amp. But, we don’t get them too often in Europe so I am happy.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 08:01:19 am »
not sure about the chasis, but on the tolex you could use alcohol, then get some liquid black shoe polish and take it to it. Works like a charm  :wink:

I'll give a big SECOND to the liquid shoe polish.  I did up a couple of 215 cabs that way and they ended up looking practically brand new.  I used Murphy Oil to clean the tolex first.

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 08:03:15 am »
Can you send me a link for the Murphy Oil?

Doesn't it get greasy? Or do you clean it with Murphy Oil, than with soap and then shoe polish?