Author Topic: Is there anyone who can give me some help with my Concert Bass amplifier?  (Read 3297 times)

Offline slavestate

Hello there,

I recently picked up a Concert Bass head dated from '72 along with its matching 2x15 cabinet. The head didn't have its cabinet and it is just a loose chassis. I am looking to build a nice enclosure for this guy and I would like to get it as close to original specs as I can.

Perhaps one of you SUNN users could measure up your head box and give me dimensions? I would be extremely grateful!

In order to have the Distort feature work, does a footswitch have to be plugged in the back? I assume that one input is for the Boost while the second is for the Distort feature? Can anyone clarify this?

The amplifier overall looks unmolested, very clean and tidy. I will have photos uploaded shortly.

Thank you for any of your comments, suggestions and help!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:54:47 am by EdBass »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
This is from a Concert Lead but the only difference is the reverb pan. The top protrudes an extra 1/2 inch on the front. 22.5 is the inside width.

Offline slavestate

This is incredible! Thank you for sharing this information. Off to the hardware store I go!

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
I should add that the little inside block (there should be one on each side) is not flush with the bottom, it's about 3/8 inch from the bottom (including about 1/16 allowance for thickness of the Tolex). Note that the 5 inch height is the inside dimension. You really should take carefull measurements on the chassis so you get a tight fit.

Offline slavestate

I picked up a little sheet of 3/4" sanded plywood today. I should have more than enough to possibly build two, should I need an extra for whatever reason. I anticipated that the inside measurements were 22.5 and 5 based on the diagram. I really appreciate your input and help!

I sourced some tolex that seems like it is close to the original, you can check it out here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fender-Rough-Black-Tolex-For-Sunn-Amps-54-X26-0051343000-/310657253987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48549d8263

As well as corner hardware, both kinds, amp feet and a handle. It'll be about $120 for all the hardware and materials to get this box going.

Pictures are soon coming.

Offline slavestate

Hello there,

I have been super busy the past few weeks, however I managed to finish a box for my Concert Bass head. I'm quite pleased with how it came out, and I have extra material left over so I may just build a second one as a backup. I found out through schematics that the Distort setting is activated using the RCA jack foot switches.

Okay, here's the finished project!

Now I just have to find some 15's for that cabinet and this baby is ready to rock 'n' roll.

Thanks for your help loudthud, and I hope this thread is of help to others who may be in a similar restoration position.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Looks great! The original I have used MDF and the inside blocks are plywood.

Offline slavestate

Thanks! It wasn't too involved, however wrapping the tolex took a bit of patience. Luckily I do a lot of similar wrapping/bending with thin gauge sheet metal as well as canvas/vinyl for awnings so this was somewhat similar. I used a heat gun to help penetrate the corners and make them stiff to the shape of the box, and next time I will wait the glue cure before installing the hardware as a few bubble emerged which I mostly was able to fix.

Thanks again!

Offline whitepaw

Re: Is there anyone who can give me some help with my Concert Bass amplifier?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:59:08 am »
nice job! as far as the footswitch goes, yes. you will need one plugged into the back. the boost is on without a footswitch though. the easiest thing to do is to get an RCA cable, cut the end off, and solder or twist/wire nut the two wires together. i did that for my concert lead so i wouldn't have to worry about a footswitch