Author Topic: can someone suggest as good cabinetW/my solarus2x12?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline alpha1213

can someone suggest as good cabinetW/my solarus2x12?
« on: June 23, 2003, 08:00:49 am »
looking for help with my combo amp. This thing is AMAZING. 2X12 original speakers with sunn "guitar transducer"sticker on transistor/magnet. 2 ruby EL34's.Groove Tube.  Id like to get another cab to compliment the combo amp, but keeping impedance in mind with 2 el34's, what would best suit me. Do I need more power?Been thinking of playing frankenstein with the head.....but would rather not. I play Guitar through this thing and it has the best reverb on any amp ive owned or heard. And its also every bass players wet dream. Im not kidding. I also have a colliseum bass monster that doesnt have near the sweetness.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline tube

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 11:08:41 pm »
here's an Ebay link with a guitar 2x12 cabinet to match your solaris.

the impedance match from amp to speaker on a tube amp is a function of the windings and taps on the output transformer. the primary side of the transformer's impedance remains fixed and speaker impedance will have little effect on your tubes. there's a greater danger to the output transformer's secondary windings burning up from the increased current if you get too far from a safe impedance. i think even at that, the current you'd be generating with a push-pull pair of 6550s at clipping wouldn't make much smoke, hehe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2540918382&category=10171

best regards, tube
best regards, tube

"i live in an alternate universe, but i have a summer home in reality."

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 04:31:45 am »
Actually... impedance is a dynamic condition.  The only thing "fixed" by fixed windings is the resistance of the windings.  

The impedance of the primary side of the output transformer... what the output tube experiences as it's load, is a function of the loading of the secondary side.  That load (e.g. speaker), and it's dynamic interactions with the secondary side is reflected back to the primary and affects the impedance of the primary.

This is why it is usually desirable to match speaker impedance with output transformer secondary impedance.  This is not something that is done for the sake of the speakers, or the secondary windings.  You appear to be confusing means with effect.

Offline tube

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 08:46:34 pm »
"IMPEDANCE IS A DYNAMIC CONDITION"

that is certainly true. i understand the relationship and the interactions of frequency, transformer windings, speaker voice coils, ad nauseum. but still it all boils down to current in any of the output components. the secondary taps are matched primarily to prevent current from exceeding the safe operating area of the amp's design.

you're a pretty smart guy! why not log in under a nick and answer technical questions for the forum instead of picking at my attempt at offering a guy a little help.

cheerio, tube
best regards, tube

"i live in an alternate universe, but i have a summer home in reality."