Author Topic: 12" Sunn Alnico Transducers  (Read 4691 times)

Offline nyquilcoma

12" Sunn Alnico Transducers
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:08:25 pm »
Hey, I'm brand spankin' new here and have a question for you Sunn heads. Hope you can help. I recently scored a pair of 12" 16ohm 60w Sunn Transducer Alnico speakers. I am guessing they are '70's era vintage.  They have aluminum dust caps with pencil hole in center, one has been reconed. I bought them for a 4x12 cab project to pair with an old Fender Showman. I only paid $50 for the pair, haven't installed them yet, and wonder if anybody out there knows anything about them- who made 'em, how much use/abuse can they stand (doing mostly fairly loud surf and Johnny Thunders-style punk these days), and their value in general. Also, if anyone has ideas about other speakers to match with them in 4x12 cab-right now I have a pair of '60's Utahs w/side mounted Alnico 3" tweeters and a pair of fairly recent Celestion G12-65's. Any help and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks, O.

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
Re: 12" Sunn Alnico Transducers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:55:26 pm »
Do you see any codes printed on the basket frames? Those will indicate manufacturer and when made.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:27:44 pm »
Are they similar to the AlNiCo drivers in the cab pictured in reply #5 in this thread?

http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,5602.0.html

As CLD posted the codes can tell you a lot.

Offline nyquilcoma

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 08:56:33 am »
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back, Sunn fans, I've been having "connectivity issues." Thanks for your responses. Speakers do look like the ones posted. They have huge open-sided rectangular alnico magnets, and are very heavy, c. 8-10# each. Labels say "Sunn Guitar Transducer,1216G", 60w rms, model # 81-0008. Baskets appear to be stainless or polished aluminum. Couldn't find any codes on speaker baskets, is it possible a generic basket could have been used if/when speakers were reconed? Guy I bought them from said they originally came out of a Sunn 2x12 cab, but he didn't know the model name/number. Haven't had a chance to hook them up as my amp head is in the shop (fried the power tranny due to out of spec resistors on tube grids and phase inverter circuit, along with a bad fuse, Yow!$$$). Anyway, if anyone knows anything about these speakers, who made'em, year of production, tonal characteristics, durability, 4x12 pairing suggestions,and type(s) of cab they may have come out of please let me know. Thanks...O.