Author Topic: SPL 912R speaker  (Read 5133 times)

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
SPL 912R speaker
« on: May 19, 2014, 07:01:39 pm »
I acquired a 1967 Fender Bassman cab today.  It's the first of the enlarged cabs, but still with 2-12's.  I knew that the speakers were not original.  So, I opened it up a little earlier today and found the cab pristine inside.  One speaker is a decent looking 8 ohm Realistic labeled, made by Utah from February 1974.  HOWEVER, the other one is a super looking Sunn SPL 912R.  It's 8 ohms with serial #10010 from hartzell.  I've looked through the info here and Google as well, and found pretty much nothing.  I'd love to have details on this speaker.  Anything that you can contribute would be appreciated. It sure has a huge magnet!  Thanks.
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: SPL 912R speaker
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:18:03 pm »
From the 1982 Catalog
SPL 912R
3 inch copper voice coil
Weight 26 lbs.
55-3KHz 98dB 1W/1M
400W program 225W RMS
fs 50Hz
Qes 0.29
Qms 1.44
Qts 0.24
Vas 2.3 Cu.ft.
Cms 0.17 x 10^6
No 3.1%
Xmax 0.5 in p-p
DC res 5.3 ohm

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:25:56 pm »
Thanks loudthud.  I often forget about the catalogue section and only do a regular search.  So, I missed it.  Thanks for pointing it out.  Not a speaker expert, I'm assuming that this speaker is more for guitar or PA than bass.  Thanks again.

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:27:13 pm »
I think that there were issues at one time, but a good bit of coverage is back under this same section at the very top and is captioned The Sunn Catalogue Thread.  So, if you're reading this, hit the back bar/arrow twice and you're there, the top heading.  As admitted, I forget half the time too.  Just keep the Sunn in your face, you'll be OK.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:43:19 am »
Hey Bigo, can you post a pic of that driver?

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:12:25 pm »
Hey Bigo, can you post a pic of that driver?

This is the only sore spot for me here.  I love the forum and everything and everyone involved, EXCEPT, the difficulty (at least for me) in posting photos.  I've tried numerous times and tried to follow instructions from others, but just fail, fail, fail.  I've managed to get one out of dozens of attempts, and I'm not even sure how that one made it.  I wish that it could be easier to do.

In any event EB, I'll do the next best thing.  As soon as I leave here, I'll go over to Talk Bass and post there under the Amps section, with the caption of 1967 Fender Bassman Cab, under my name, Oren Hudson.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:21:21 pm »
There are size limits and restrictions on file types that may prevent pictures from posting. I always use the forums attach feature so that the pic becomes part of the forum, not something hosted elsewhere that might dissappear in a year or two.

I don't know if you can look at this without being a member of the site but it contains some tips on making your pics smaller for posting. I don't think the [img] tags will work on this forum, but they might.

Link: http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=464.0

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 09:02:27 pm »
I've got no issues sending them to someone else to put wherever they want.  I'm not one of those real private persons.  Problem is, I don't see email addresses for Watson or loudthud in the profiles.  Let me know and I'll happily send them on. 

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 04:48:50 am »
Getting back to the 912R, in the talkbass photos it kind of looks EVish.

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 07:18:15 am »
I'd agree with that EdBass.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this speaker intended more for guitar or PA than bass use?