Author Topic: Head problems  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Stevegan

Head problems
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:38:25 am »
So neither of these two heads are Sunn, but I was hoping someone here would still be able to help.
I have a Peavy bass head that I plan on using with my Sunn Cab, it has an indicator for when it is being pushed too hard - and now that light is constantly lit and there is a low his that comes from the speaker. It also sounds like it is pushing the speaker hard, even though they have worked well together in the past. The light remains lit even when not plugged into the speaker.

I also have a PA head that cuts in an out - it seems to only want to let louder sounds through, so if something is played at a lower volume it doesn't make it to the speakers - or so it seems.

Any help with either of these issues would be amazing!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Head problems
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:28:12 am »
Not to be a smart *ss, but are there any good techs in your area?
Those issues could be any number of things, and a competent tech could diagnose the problems far quicker and more efficiently than "by proxy" forum advice can.
Also, there are dangers involved with poking around inside an amplifier; even if it's unplugged.
Not a good place for a neophyte to be learning in.

Check all your cables and external connections, and if that doesn't work take it to somebody who works on these things for a living would be my advice...

Good Luck!

Offline Stevegan

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:57 am »
Thanks for the advice - I'll have to look into it as I'd typically go the DIY route.

I'm aware that's caps can hold a charge for years after being turned on - I can also replace any of these possibly failed components - I can not however diagnose the problem. A visual inspection of both yielded no results.

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:28:01 am »
You may wish to access "The Gear Page" tech forum where someone working with these amps may have more helpful info.