Author Topic: WHICH SUNN AMP BEST DOUBLES AS GUITAR/BASS HEAD?  (Read 9185 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

Re: WHICH SUNN AMP BEST DOUBLES AS GUITAR/BASS HEAD?
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 08:29:52 am »
I preferred my 2nd Gen for bass but preferred my 1st Gen for guitar.

Still, in my experience, the 1st Gen's guitar tone was so far superior to the 2nd Gen that any differences in bass tone were comparatively negligible. Your mileage may vary. I've never played two Model T's that sounded quite the same.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: WHICH SUNN AMP BEST DOUBLES AS GUITAR/BASS HEAD?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 02:42:38 pm »
I've tried my 200S and 2000S as bass amps (completely awesome) and guitars amps (too bright and way too much bass, harsh) and I've also tried a Sunn Spectrum 2, which was a guitar amp. The Spectrum 2 sounded alright for guitar, and ok for bass, but I like my 200S/2000S better for bass, and other amps better for guitar, but then I'm on record as not like Sunn amps for guitar very much. I think if an amp was modified to add some switching to where you could switch out some caps and switch a different tone stack setup in and out, then it would be better for both. The harshness for guitar comes somewhat from the higher voltages used in Sunns. It will sound ok clean but when it gets overdriven it will be harsh and bright, which may work well for heavier styles of music with added pedals.

Greg

That harsh, bright overdrive is perfect for some songs. I used it for "Jumpin' Jack Flash". Nasty sound, but perfect for the song.
Isaac