Author Topic: 200S sounds funny  (Read 2570 times)

Offline play4zero

200S sounds funny
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:12:41 pm »
I just bought a 68 200S that had supposedly been gone through however, it just doesn't sound right.  I initially plugged the speaker connection into the 16 ohm spot (it's an 8 ohm) and when I touched the connector I got a shock.  After switching it to the 8 ohm socket i started playing through it, but it was quite distorted and the sound was attenuated (similar to what one would experience switching from roundwounds to flatwounds).  Any ideas as to what the problem might be?  I didn't touch the connector again with the power turned on to see if I would get another hit from the 8 ohm socket.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: 200S sounds funny
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:28:37 pm »
What speaker cabinet are you trying to use? If it's a 4x10 that usually needs a 500 watt head, it's not going to sound good with a 60W tube amp. You should always try an amp with your speaker cabinet before you hand over your money. What kind of bass are you using? High output active basses will easily overload a tube amp. Try a passive bass like a Fender Precision or Jazz.

As to the shock issue, read up on how to use a polaity switch:

http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,4632.0.html

Offline play4zero

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:07:04 pm »
Thank you. I was using an Eden D115XLT cab with a Fender reissue 57 P-Bass.  It had sounded better before.  One suggestion was to replace the rectifier tube.  The tech claims that he used a 5U4 because of its milder characteristics.  I just asked on another thread about the possibility of using the groove tubes solid state rectifier tube replacement and what that does to the sound quality.

Offline play4zero

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:33:27 pm »
Also, regarding the shock issue, I just read the polarity thread and this unit already has the three prong cord added.  I'm going to have a tech check it out completely since the guy who did the previous work doesn't appear to have been too whippy.  I love these units.  I used them when I first started playing years ago and they were my favorite amp.  I also own a couple of three way PA columns that are encased in cabs about the size of the twin 15 cabs.  I'm thinking of turning one of those into a twin 15 cab using JBL D140s.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:21:01 pm »
Sounds like you're on the right track to get more "oomph". IMO an efficient vented cabinet with efficient drivers is the key rather than expecting a rectifier change to boost your SPLs, as loudthud posts you're only dealing with a paltry (by modern standards) 60 watts.
Transistor watts are so cheap, and the focus is so aimed at small and light now days, that cab efficiency doesn't seem to be a real high priority for manufacturers.

Offline Johnny

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:52:48 am »
IMO solid state rectification is desirable in a bass amp. I used the JJ SS plug-in for my 200S. It will give you a tighter bottom.

Offline play4zero

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 08:43:55 am »
Thank you.  I think I'm going to try the solid state rectifier replacement.  Of course, I don't want to simply make it sound like a solid state amp.  I intend to use this amp for smaller gigs where I'm going for more of an old school sound.  I'm planning on having the transformer tapped for the 8/4 ohm load instead of the current 8/16 load and then checked completely for anything shorting out.  I beat the tar out of these amps in the late 60's and early 70's and so I'm really excited to give one another whirl now.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:17:38 am »
A solid state rectifier won't make it sound like a solid state amp. In fact, at low levels, changing the rectifications doesn't make it sound any different at all. What it does do is reduce the power supply "sag". Guitar players tend to like a bit of sag. Bass players, not so much.
Isaac

Offline play4zero

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 01:21:22 pm »
Thank you, I think I'm going to give one a try just to see what it sounds like.  I still think the unit has a short in it and so it's going to get a complete going through from my tech as well as changing the speaker impedance from the transformer.  I can't imagine ever having a 16 ohm cab.