Author Topic: Sceptre laying out series caps for quad cap elimination  (Read 1456 times)

Offline MrCreosote

Sceptre laying out series caps for quad cap elimination
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:26:58 am »
To Gut or Not To Gut - the quad cap?

Gutting would allow me to keep the wiring layout at the cap.  It would also provide me the ability to rig 2 cap pairs inside the empty can.

The other 2 cap pairs would be located remotely at the 12a... tubes.

The above would be exceptionally clean layout.

If I don't stuff the QC w/2 pairs, then they have to be laid out near the main double solder terminal strips.  There would be no room to connect them to the appropriate lug unless the cap pairs were suspended over the main strips or located outboard of the far side main strip.

Also, the side of these series caps is marginal for not mounting the cap body in a clip or gluing to the chassis.  Any thoughts?

Also, what voltage hookup wire to use.  600v is common but there is 1000v wire too.

Also, is there any place that sells a big bag  assortment of solder terminal strips?  I can't find my Old Electronics Parts box where I had hoarded lots of them.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Tom

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: Sceptre laying out series caps for quad cap elimination
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:13:25 pm »
The ideal location for the caps are close to the stages that they supply. With the layout of the Sunn, this would require you to run some B+ supply wires to those caps from the appropriate stages. Depending on where you routed those, they could cause problems, but most likely not. It has been done before this way and works fine.

You can also move the choke location a bit, and then stick the series connected caps on a terminal strip where the choke was and run some wires over to supply them. This works well too.

I'm obviously of the opinion that the quad cap should go, since I suggested the series cap mods a couple years ago. I've gone over this in other posts, but the main three reasons are cost, ease of replacement in the future, and superior voltage handling capability.

For parts, Antique Electronics is great. www.tubesandmore.com

Greg