Author Topic: New sunn beta lead 2x12 owner. ohms question  (Read 4941 times)

Offline bent crucifix

New sunn beta lead 2x12 owner. ohms question
« on: February 20, 2008, 02:12:44 pm »
Ok, I did a search to help with my question and being the dummy I am I think I have found the answers but I am still unclear. I want to be able to run my 2x12 along with another cab. Can I use the remaining 4ohm jack and plug it into an 8ohm cabinet? Which from what I have think I have gathered I should not do. Or would I have to run it in series? Go from the 4ohm amp jack to the 8ohm cabinet, and then from the 8 ohm cab to the 4ohm combo speakers? Would this make me run at 6 ohms?

How do I know if the extended cab is wired for series? Is it safe to assume that if a speaker cab has two inputs that it is wired for series?

I would greatly appreciate the help. I have a few different options available to me right now and it all depends on this information. I have tried posting these questions on two other boards filled with musicians and no one can help me. I found a 2x15 sunn bass cab wired in paralell with two 1/4 jacks. I don't get having 2 inputs if it is wired in paralell. Also have the chance to get a sunn 610L and I'm not even sure of the specs quite yet.

I have heard people mention switches to make cabs run in series. Would they sell this sorta stuff at guitar center? I'm also thinking of just pulling the head out of the cabinet and running a 4x12 along side a 2x15. Can I do this if I use both 4ohm jacks on the amp?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:04:32 pm by bent crucifix »

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: New sunn beta lead 2x12 owner. ohms question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:00:04 pm »
Are the 2 - 12's in the cabinet you have now 8 ohms or other?

Usually Sunn amps will take 2 - 8 ohms loads with one plugged into the 8 ohm jack and the other plugged into the 4 ohm jack. The jacks are wired in parallel internally so in essence you are running 2 - 8 ohm cabinets in parallel...4 ohms.

You really cannot assume that 2 jacks mean parallel or series. The only thing to do is check them. You can do this by opening the cabinets and looking or by using a multi meter. Most 8 ohm cabinets will be somewhere around 6 ohms give or take an ohm. Most 4’s will be around 3, same as above. Many cabinets have 2 jacks run in parallel so you can connect the amp to one, then the next cabinet to the first one.

I would think that if your second cabinet is 8 ohms you should be fine. As long as the Beta sees at least 4 ohms, all should be happy. Take the time to review the comments about the Beta controls since the way they work is not like any other amp.

Offline bent crucifix

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:02:43 pm »
Thanks for your help! I think I am going to buy the 612L or whatever it is. The sunn guitar cab.If that falls through I was gonna run two cabs, a 4x12 8ohm and a 2x15 at 8ohms.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:49:13 am »
Are the 2 - 12's in the cabinet you have now 8 ohms or other?

Usually Sunn amps will take 2 - 8 ohms loads with one plugged into the 8 ohm jack and the other plugged into the 4 ohm jack. The jacks are wired in parallel internally so in essence you are running 2 - 8 ohm cabinets in parallel...4 ohms.

You really cannot assume that 2 jacks mean parallel or series. The only thing to do is check them. You can do this by opening the cabinets and looking or by using a multi meter. Most 8 ohm cabinets will be somewhere around 6 ohms give or take an ohm. Most 4’s will be around 3, same as above. Many cabinets have 2 jacks run in parallel so you can connect the amp to one, then the next cabinet to the first one.

I would think that if your second cabinet is 8 ohms you should be fine. As long as the Beta sees at least 4 ohms, all should be happy. Take the time to review the comments about the Beta controls since the way they work is not like any other amp.

Just for clarification, you do mean two 8 ohm loads, and not 2-8 ohms total load, right?
Isaac

Offline bent crucifix

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 03:08:06 pm »
Yes, two separate 8ohm cabs.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 07:11:13 pm »
Yes, two 8 ohm loads, thanks for the clarifications Isaac, would be unhappy if someone misread and ended up with a problem.

Offline bent crucifix

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 05:58:20 pm »
Ok, another question. I just spotted a sunn 2x12 on craigslist. My combo is 4ohm, and this sunn cab I have found is also 4ohm. Could I run the combo with the other cab which is also 4 ohms? Where would I plug in? The back of this 2x12 confuses me. I think I go from my head to the 2x12 input(the cabinet on craigslist), then out from the series and into the combo speakers making my ohmage total 8ohms. Is this correct? The back of the cabinet that is on craigslist looks like this:

Offline DAMAGED I

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51:57 pm »
Ok, another question. I just spotted a sunn 2x12 on craigslist. My combo is 4ohm, and this sunn cab I have found is also 4ohm. Could I run the combo with the other cab which is also 4 ohms? Where would I plug in? The back of this 2x12 confuses me. I think I go from my head to the 2x12 input(the cabinet on craigslist), then out from the series and into the combo speakers making my ohmage total 8ohms. Is this correct? The back of the cabinet that is on craigslist looks like this:

Yeah. if you go head ------->input and then series-------> other 4-ohm cabinet, you'll present the head with an 8-ohm load. the 202s are fucking LOUD

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 06:38:06 am »
get a multimeter and verify the ohms of the stock speakers.  i've got two beta leads and one reads 4ohms and the other 8ohms.

Offline bent crucifix

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:27:22 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for the help! I love this forum! haha