Author Topic: Very Early Sunn Paisley Smiley Face Amp Head w/ badge  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Danc

Very Early Sunn Paisley Smiley Face Amp Head w/ badge
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:29:28 am »
Reluctantly selling off my Sunn 'Smiley Face' paisley amp. This particular unit is an early one, as the caps date it within the first 200 ever made. At an early point its life, this amp was powered up without a speaker load attached, frying the original power tubes (luckily not damaging the power transformer), and was put away into storage for 30-40 years after that. I've had the amp completely built back up while retaining as many original parts as possible, and using the best suited parts available for keeping it as close to original as can be.

As I said, the original power tubes were blown (but still come with the amp), and have been replaced with NOS Sylvania 6CA7's, these have about 2 hours of playing time on them. The original 7199 tube is a bit microphonic, so it's been replaced with another NOS Sylvania 7199, with about 1 hour playing time on it. The original 7199 tube is still functioning and works well if the amp is not placed on top of the cab that it is powering, but if it is on top of the cab it picks up too much and distorts. The amp will come with both the original 7199, as well as the NOS Sylvania that has about 1 hour playing time on it. All of the original preamp tubes test well and sound great. The power cord has been replaced with a 3 prong for safety, and the knobs have been changed to chicken head style. These are the only unoriginal parts to the amp, and as you can see they have been replaced with period appropriate replacement parts.

Surprisingly, all the caps test fine and did not need any replacement. The speaker leads have been reattached as they were disconnected when I acquired the amp. It has gone through a deep clean as it needed it pretty badly after being stored away for so long.

I had Vic of Wiktor Amps do all of this work, he's a pro and does a lot of work for the studios/hifi shops around here. If you have specific questions that I can't answer I can put you in touch with him.

The amp still has the original paisley style tolex, original grill cloth, and the amusing smiley face Sunn badge. While it's not a museum piece, it's in relatively good shape.

Starting price is $1500, no trades, no money orders or anything like that. I can deliver a considerable distance to the serious buyer, but please no window shoppers/tire kickers. Serious parties only.

I'm in Boston, MA. I could potentially ship the amp but I'd really like to avoid that route if possible. Like I said I can deliver this amp a fair distance.

Here are some photos of both the inside and out:

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/WoodvalesBurning/library/Sunn%20Paisley%20Smiley%20Face