Author Topic: Replacing coupling caps  (Read 2326 times)

Offline doc10039

Replacing coupling caps
« on: February 21, 2011, 10:18:52 am »
I have my 200S up and running now new Heyboer PT, pair of Svetlana 6550's, all filter caps replaced. I am now thinking of replacing all the coupling caps with Orange Drops, silver mica etc. Any thoughts on this. I figure they are tired also and want to make the amp as dependable as possible.

Doc

Offline Greg_M

Re: Replacing coupling caps
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13:17 am »
That's what I did.
I could not find the .0075 mfd, but everything else is new
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:37:01 pm by Greg_M »

Offline doc10039

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:55:03 pm »
I am going to have to use different values some places but AES has most of them. Thanks for the input.

Doc

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:25:47 pm »
I have a few left from having to buy "the minimum" every once is a while. Let me know what you can't find and I'll see if I have it in my box-o-stuff.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:28:27 pm »
The brown blob coupling caps are pretty lousy, but most of the other caps that came in the Sunns are good stuff, and I wouldn't replace them unless they were leaking DC. The brown blobs have lousy ESR and probably still function fine but pretty much any new cap will sound better than those. In my 1970 Sonic 1/200S that I rebuilt several years back, I replaced the coupling caps with a mixture of Orange Drop 716P's, Orange Drop 225P's, and Mallory 150's. I used a couple Solens to go from the phase inverter to the power amp for a bit more high end. In mine, the Cornell Duplier greenies were leaking DC, so they were replaced. In some others than I've worked on in the past, the greenies and the Black Cats were still working fine so I left them and just replaced the brown blobs with Orange Drops. If I was to use the amp for guitar (not going to happen for me as I hate Sunns for guitar..haha) then I might go with more polyester caps instead of polypropylene, but for bass, the polypropylenes work great.

I was able to find all the values needed, though I think the .0075uf were polyester Orange Drops...probably surplus 225P's that I found locally. AES used to carry a wider selection like a .0075uf and a .25uf in the 6PS polyester Orange Drop line, but they don't anymore. I'd check around at local surplus shops and see if you can find something in those values.

Greg

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »
While you are poking around give your resistors a good wiggle.
I had a couple that broke in half during de-soldering. (And I wasn't abusing them)

Offline doc10039

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 05:54:31 pm »
Yes I will. I will upgrade the resistors while doing the caps. I will probably use coupling caps that are as close to original values as to not exceed those values. I can also use in tandem to get close to the values.

Doc