Author Topic: Whats my Sunn Penetrator ted nugent edition amp worth?  (Read 11299 times)

Offline MammothVolume

Re: Whats my Sunn Penetrator ted nugent edition amp worth?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 10:57:39 pm »
Then pass the deal on, Homie. I'll PM you my address.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 10:59:17 pm »
then whats the problem? quick cash for you right?!?!  wish i could find a amp head that someone just left
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline doomedfuzz

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:18 am »
I paid $350 for my Enforcer a little over a year ago. I had it fully gone through and checked by my tech, re-tubed and had a footswitch built for it, so I'm into mine for about $500 total. The economy is worse now - I don't think you'll get much. Like I said in that other post you made, hold on to it for a few years and then try to turn it. I mean Fender era Sunn Model Ts are going for $1000 so who knows - and those Fender Model Ts are OK but not worth that much at all, they sound nothing like the vintage ones.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 10:09:11 am »
The Enforcer/Penetrator is 'rare' in the same way that things sold on Etsy are rare: They're likely only made on a small scale because manufacturing more would cause a company to lose money on the investment.

So while the amp isn't easy to find (making it 'rare'), it isn't a highly sought-after amp. Even on this forum, where Sunn enthusiasts have been known to collect just about anything with the name attached to it, the Enforcer/Penetrator has come up only a handful of times, and most of the talk about it seems to lean on the fact that it was a bit silly.

On the bright side, for an amp you got for free from your friend's attic, any money you make on it is a gain. Think of all the pizza you can buy with $450. Or the one, really bloody huge pizza you could buy. Or all the pizza-flavoured Combos you could buy! See, not only is it a sound investment, but you also are probably really hungry now. Pizza.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline MammothVolume

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 10:50:52 pm »
I'll trade you two large pizzas, ANY TOPPING, and a two liter of Coca-Cola for you Penetrator?

I'll PM my address to you, and shoot me yours back, I can do this online, and it'll be at your door in just 30 minutes or less... (or it's free!)

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 02:37:51 am »
So, we all get pizza, AND you get the Penetrator? I think this is a done deal. So there we have it: A Penetrator is worth a bunch of pizza. I'm glad we came to this concrete decision.

Now everyone PM your address to Mr. Tony, and we'll bask in pizza. I'd like mine with thick crust, extra sauce, no cheese, sundried tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms. Thanks!!!!!!
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline MammothVolume

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »
I don't think he's going to bite...  :-D :-D :-D

Offline JLewis

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 11:34:58 am »
Just saying, it is really irritating to see people give the whole 'your amp is worth whatever someone is willing to pay' response when someone's trying to find out the ball park value of a rare piece of equipment.  I see it all the time on internet message boards, and it seems needlessly d******h.  Why not just point the guy in the right direction?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:38:23 am by EdBass »

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 11:55:20 am »
Sorry, JL. but the only person who can point the seller in the right direction is a buyer with cash standing in front of him/her. As others have noted many times on this forum, while most of us believe Sunns have tremendous value, and should be worth plenty, it's clear the marketplace cannot make up its mind. As a result, prices continue to fluctuate in ways we can't predict. The price swings for 2000S heads over the last 12 months illustrate the point.

The weather forecasters on TV are wrong half the time and people laugh about it. But if someone here offers up estimated prices that are wrong half the time, you'd be mad, wouldn't you?  Most people would be.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:19:12 am by CLD »
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 11:58:12 am »
The reason you see it all the time on internet message boards is because it's the correct response.
If posters have knowledge of actual transactions, If they bought/sold the item or have knowledge of an eBay completed auction, etc. they generally share the info; if not they don't.
Because... your gear or anything else for that matter is indeed worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

In fact, in this thread itself several people have volunteered data from personal experience, completed auctions, etc. in an effort to be genuinely helpful to the OP, so I'm not real sure what your complaint is based on.
Are you suggesting that just making up a value and posting it online is the somehow way to "point the guy in the right direction"?  :?

By the way, welcome to the forum. Sorry about the edit, but we generally stay civil and post like responsible citizens here.

Offline MammothVolume

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 04:15:40 pm »
In my opinion, We shouldn't do valuations at all. On the BC Rich board, they're more than willing to tell you what you have, when it was made, any information you want, but no valuations. I think it's more of a community builder, than people just being douchebags. It's one of those "being used" scenarios. Most nice, fine young ladies won't let you just hit it and quit it, will they? Same story with forums. You can't come asking favors with nothing to offer in return. Be part of the community, don't just come here and think you can make a quick buck off knowledge others laboriously obtained over the years. Check the members tab and see how many accounts have been made with under five posts, and those are most likely guys who only wanted valuations. My .02$.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
99.95% of the time "what's it worth" actually means "it's for sale". And yes, it's usually non members trying to exploit a group of aficionados thinking they will pay top dollar because the forum members are enthusiasts and often collectors of whatever brand of gear the poster happens to be pimping.
The "make an offer" thing particularly sticks in my craw; that's a tactic to ensure nothing is left on the table, to make sure the exploitation of the forum members is complete.
For example; if these pimps were to lock in on a sale price of $500 on a particular item, that would preclude one of the brainwashed fan boy "Sunn freaks" from offering more than that, limiting their rape potential.

Sometimes it’s real obvious. Did anyone else notice how our “friend” Tony went from innocently knowing nothing about his amp, and wondering if anyone could “help him out”;

I recently acquired a Sunn Penetrator. i know for a fact its extremely rare.....can anyone give me more info on this amp like what its worth?

…To being an obnoxious expert about the amp and its value in two hours?

hahahaha your smoking crack the regular enforcer goes $400-600 this is the ted nugent edition the knobs got to 12 and its labeled penetrator and has his signature silk screened on it......as far as i have been told that didnt even produce the penetrator for a full production year, then sunn was bought out by fender and they discontinued the penetrator..........R-A-R-E!!!!!!

In the retail marketing world that's generally called "baiting".
That’s why I jumped in so abruptly; not just to be a ******* ******* as our pal Tony suggested.
You’ll notice, he never did put a price. Once the opportunity to rape someone was gone; so was he, as is generally the case.

Of course, there’s always the well intentioned “make an offer” posters; that .05% that don’t have an ulterior motive. To them I say sorry; just post a selling price.

As far as valuations, I think that most members are interested in them. The problems arise when they are attached to scenarios like the one above, or IMO when “expert” posters “shoot from the hip”.
Unless someone has knowledge of actual transactions they should just sit back and watch IMO. As has been pointed out repeatedly, the used Sunn market is unstable at best and unfounded guesses just muddy the water further.
Generally it’s inflationary; anybody want to pay $2K+ for a Model T or 2000S again? If so PM me; have I got a deal for YOU!   :wink: :-D

Offline MammothVolume

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 09:57:53 am »
Post a high price, say it's negotiable... problem solved.

If someone pays that price, smile...

I do it on craigslist all the time.