Author Topic: Model T problem  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Model T problem
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:40:03 am »
My Model T popped its circuit breaker at rehearsal last night. Reset it and it popped again. So something is wrong.

This amp hasn't had any issues at all for about 40 years. Back around 1975 or 76, the canned multicap was replaced at the Sunn factory. About ten years ago, I did a couple of mods to make it closer to a 1G Model T. Since then, I've used it nearly every week with no problems. So maybe it was due. It did take a tumble off the top of a stack a couple of years ago, but that didn't appear to cause any trouble other than breaking one of the tubes.

The amp hasn't had any caps replaced since the incident in the 70s. Forty-year-old amp, forty-year-old electrolytic caps, that's an obvious place to look. A new set of tubes is never a bad thing to do, whether it solves the problem or not. After the stage dive a couple of years ago, something might have been knocked loose that's only now creating a problem. Guess I'll find out.

When will I get to it? Who knows? I tend to procrastinate pretty badly. I have other, higher priorities this weekend, and once something slips down my list, it can be hard to get it back on top, but we'll see. I'll keep you posted.
Isaac